Where Your Money Goes
Every day residents and business of Barrie use City services and see their tax dollars at work.
In a typical day most residents will use or witness most City services being provided, such as water, curbside collection, roads, traffic signals, street lights, libraries, parks, police, fire & snow removal, just to name a few.
Value for Money
The City of Barrie receives 10 cents of every tax dollar, and those 10 cents go a long way. Here are some of the major services residents rely on & the total annual amount paid per home* for each:
||What You Get
||24/7 availability, 237 police officers, 60,000+ calls for service.
|Fire & Emergency Services
||24/7 availability, 8,000+ calls for service including fire response, vehicle accidents ice rescues, hazardous materials and more.
- Maintenance & snow cleared from 1,668 lane km of roads, & 605 km of sidewalks.
- Power to 11,000 street lights & 246 traffic lights.
- Maintenance & operation of 399 km of storm sewers, 107 km of watercourses, 18 km of culverts & 89 storm ponds.
- 4,500+ service requests annually
- 2.7 million annual transit trips.
- 194,000 transit vehicle in-service hours.
- Two library locations, 6,450 annual service hours (126.5 per week, per library).
- 365,000 annual visits
- 4 community centres, 7 sport & recreation centres, 3 gyms.
- 56 sport fields, 43 ball diamonds, 37 tennis courts.
- 2 million+ visits to recreation facilities annually
- Over 53,000 households receive curbside collection: bi-weekly garbage collection, weekly organics, blue & grey box collection.
|Parks & Forestry
- Care of 34,000 City-owned street trees, 2,000+ acres of City-owned forest & 812 acres of tree-lined parks.
- Inspection & maintenance of 88 km of public trails.
- Inspection & maintenance of all equipment & play areas at 114 playgrounds.
| Creative Economy
- Hosted 21+ start-up events in 2016.
- 87,000+ annual attendees at City-run festivals
|County of Simcoe(service partner)
- Paramedic services ($96)
- Long-Term Care ($14)
- Social Housing ($79)
- Ontario Works ($56)
- Children & Community Services ($34)
* Numbers based on the 2017 Budget & typical Barrie home assessed at $302,000.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a