Building & By-Law Services
This page informs on the department's role in the working structure of the organization, positioned to best serve our community.
The Building and By-law Services department administers and enforces regulations for almost all municipal by-laws and the Ontario Building Code. Regulations today are intended to protect the health, safety, order and comfort of our citizens, enhancing the quality of life for the community.
Information below addresses the most commonly asked questions about the services provided. Our staff will be pleased to receive your call or e-mail if you require further assistance.
Building Services Branch
The Building Services Branch is located on the 8th floor of City Hall and provides the following services:
- Processes applications and conducts site inspections for building permits, septic permits, sign structure permits, pool enclosure permits and retaining wall permits.
- Investigates complaints of construction without a permit, construction contrary to the Building Code, or of buildings in an unsafe condition, enforcing compliance as warranted.
- Investigates complaints relating to lot grading in new subdivisions to confirm compliance with the Subdivider’s Agreement.
- Provides building construction information as requested for property transactions and general enquiries.
By-law Services Branch
The By-law Services Branch is located at 45 Cedar Pointe Drive and provides the following services:
- Administers and enforces City by-laws relating to business licensing, two-unit house registrations, animal control (including exotic pets), parks, temporary and billboard signs, smoking, fireworks, firearms, motorized snow vehicles, snow removal, retail sales on municipal property, tree cutting, livestock evaluation, property maintenance standards, zoning standards as well as parking on all city streets, fire routes and handicapped zones.
- Administers and enforces all aspects of lottery licensing including the review and approval of applications, issuance of licenses, review and analysis of reports, investigations and enforcement in accordance with the Criminal Code and Order-in-Council.
The fees, building information and by-law information contained on this site represents our current understanding of the legislation and is prepared for purposes of convenience only and is subject to change. Please refer to the most current version of each by-law to validate any interpretations suggested on this site.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a