This page informs on the department's role in the working structure of the organization, positioned to best serve our community.
The Legal Services Department provides legal services to the Corporation, including City Council, staff and certain boards and agencies.
The functions of the department include the following:
- Provision of general and specific legal advice
- Representing the Corporation before various levels of courts and administrative tribunals
- Real estate transactions (purchase, sales, leases, encroachments, expropriations, etc.) on behalf of the Corporation
- By-law prosecutions for violation of City’s by-laws (noise, licensing, parking etc.)
- Prosecution of individuals for offences under the Provincial Offences Act
Legal services or advice is not provided to the public. If you are looking for a lawyer, for a nominal charge, you can contact the Law Society’s Lawyer Referral Service at 1-900-565-4577 and they will put you in touch with a lawyer who practices law in the area of your concern for a ½ hour free consultation. If you require Legal Aid, please call (705) 737-3400. If your question concerns a Landlord or Tenant matter, please call 1-888-332-3234.
Legal and Real Estate Services Branch
The Legal and Real Estate Services Branch is divided into the following sections:
Acts as legal advisor to City Council, the Corporation, its boards and agencies. The Branch also advocates for the City on matters that include planning, the environment, land development and real estate. This is done primarily by in-house staff, but also through the use of private law firms in certain circumstances.
The Legal Services Branch is headed by the Director and presently includes a two Solicitors and two Law Clerks.
Real Estate Services:
Provides the following: real property acquisition and disposal, expropriation, market valuation of land, real property asset management.
Prosecution Services Branch
- The Prosecution Services branch provides administrative and prosecutorial services for matters before the Ontario Court of Justice, Provincial Offences for all municipalities within the County of Simcoe under an agreement between the City of Barrie and the Ministry of the Attorney General. Such service includes the processing of charges under Provincial statutes (e.g. Highway Traffic Act, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, Compulsory Insurance Act, etc.).
- The City of Barrie manages two prosecution centres, one in the City of Barrie and one in the City of Orillia (servicing courts in Orillia, Wasaga Beach, Collingwood, Innisfil (Churchill), Penetanguishene and Barrie).
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a