Legislative & Court Services
This page informs on the department's role in the working structure of the organization, positioned to best serve our community.
The Legislative and Court Services Department is comprised of two branches:
- Legislative Services Branch, which includes Council Secretariat, Councillor Support, Corporate Mail and Print Services, Vital Statistics and Records and Information Services;
- Court Services, which is responsible for the administration of justice within two court service areas in compliance with the Provincial Offences Act and the Memorandum of Understanding and Inter-municipal Service Agreements.
In addition to overseeing these services, key responsibilities include executing the statutory duties of a Municipal Clerk, acting as “Head” under FOI legislation, and as Returning Officer for municipal elections. The City Clerk is the Corporate Secretary appointed statutorily as the persona designate in discharging the duties of corporate office. The actions of the City Clerk in the execution of his/her duties bind the Corporation.
Legislative Services Branch
- The Legislative Services Branch is divided into the following sections: Council Secretariat, Vital Statistics and Corporate Mail and Print Services, Council Support and Information Services and Records and Information Services.
- Further, this Branch is responsible for the conduct of Municipal Elections, processing Local Improvement petitions, Court of Revision; commissioning/certification of documents and responds to the general public’s inquiries and requests.
Court Services Branch
- The Court Services Branch provides administrative services for matters before the Ontario Court of Justice, Provincial Offences Court, for all municipalities within the County of Simcoe under an agreement between the City of Barrie and the Ministry of the Attorney General. Such service includes the processing of charges under Provincial statutes (e.g. Highway Traffic Act, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, Compulsory Insurance Act, etc.), processing of payments, scheduling of trials, etc.
- The City of Barrie manages two administrative centres, one in the City of Barrie and one in the City of Orillia plus satellite court locations in Wasaga Beach, Innisfil (Churchill), Collingwood and Penetanguishene.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a