This portfolio brings together several city departments to provide a more comprehensive and collaborative approach to investment in the city.
Business Development Department
The Business Development department has four primary service areas to contribute to the Economic Development Strategy for Invest Barrie:
- Attraction and facilitation of new business investment, helping employers access the business opportunities of Central Ontario’s economic engine
- Site selection for new land development opportunities
- Support for the retention, growth and expansion of the City’s existing businesses
- Encourage and promote the creation of new Barrie-based enterprises, including start-ups and small business services, by supporting entrepreneurs with services such as the The Small Business Centre of Barrie, Simcoe County & Orillia and the Barrie Entrepreneurs Connect portal.
Department of Culture
The Department of Culture is responsible for stewarding the City’s investment in the Cultural Sector. The department serves the Economic Development Strategy of Invest Barrie and contributes to the vibrancy of our community by implementing a number of initiatives including the following:
- Development of the arts and culture/creative sector by providing financial support to arts organizations, training and educational opportunities, data collection and analysis and advocacy.
- Infrastructure Management centered on the Georgian Theatre (850+ seats) and the Mady Centre for the Performing Arts (200+ seats), creates opportunities for citizen engagement and talent and business attraction.
- Presentation and Production are opportunities to create programming to meet the needs of the local residents and to attract tourists and new residents, further cementing the role that the culture sector plays as an economic driver for the City of Barrie.
- Marketing the rich cultural and creative experiences that are available in Barrie assists us in positively affecting Barrie’s brand, creating a new perception of Barrie as a destination for cultural and other attractions and the epicenter of quality living in the region.
Lake Simcoe Regional Airport
The Lake Simcoe Regional Airport (LSRA) is one of the newest and best positioned regional airport facilities in Canada. With its modern airport facilities, the LSRA is able to serve a wide variety of aircraft. Fully serviced by the Canada Border Service Agency, the airport maintains a Commercial Port-Of-Entry status, which allows the airport to accommodate both international passengers and freight. The LSRA property is situated on 240 hectares and offers 58 hectares (142 acres) of serviced and un-serviced land available for airside commercial development opportunities and a further 24 hectares (60 acres) available for non-aviation development.
Downtown City Centre
Creating a vibrant and healthy city centre is a priority for Invest Barrie, a place that will greatly enhance the quality of life of residents and contribute to the economic development of the community. The vision for the downtown is a creative hub that drives prosperity, a place where arts, entertainment and business connect through innovation.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a