Presented by Committees & Council
Order of the Spirit Catcher Award
The Order of the Spirit Catcher, established in 2000 (replacing the Civic Award of Merit), is the highest honour bestowed by the City to a volunteer (youth and adult) for outstanding service to our community.
The City is seeking nominations for the 2017 Order of the Spirit Catcher Award (19+ years of age) and the 2017 Youth Spirit Catcher Award (12–18 years of age). Individuals considered for this award must be residents of Barrie who have:
- volunteered selflessly
- made a significant contribution to the lifestyle of the community
- benefited others and brought honour to the City of Barrie, through exceptional achievement
Submissions must be made using the application form(s) as provided.
Please return the completed application to the address noted below, in person, mail, fax (705-739-4243) or email (email@example.com) on or before the deadline of Friday, September 22, 2017.
Legislative & Court Services
70 Collier Street
Barrie, Ontario L4M 4T5
||Order of the Spirit Catcher Award
||Youth Spirit Catcher Award
||Keli Perencz & Sheena Tracey
||Shane Denis & Tom Oldershaw
||Grant Bond & Erika Campbell
Barrie Heritage Awards
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2017 Barrie Heritage Awards until August 1 2017. The awards are for property owners and individuals who've made strides in fostering local identity through heritage preservation and awareness in Barrie. All residents are invited to submit nominations for a property in any of the following categories:
- Residential Buildings;
- Commercial Building with a business including office, restaurant or store;
- Institutional Building such as a church, school, or public facility; or,
- Individual or Group of people who stand out in terms of their heritage contribution to the community.
Building Nomination Requirements
Nominations for buildings with at least two of the following attributes will be considered:
- Are at least one hundred years old;
- The property and buildings are well maintained;
- Are sensitive to the heritage features of the property, especially if the property has been restored, rehabilitated or adaptively re-used;
- Enhances the streetscape; or,
- Assists in revitalizing the community through heritage conservation.
Individual or Group Nomination Requirements
Nominations for an Individual or group with the following attributes will be considered:
- Demonstrate a commitment to heritage preservation;
- Built awareness and understanding of local history and heritage; and,
- Help revitalize the community through building local heritage awareness.
Please complete the nomination form and submit by August 1, 2017.
Award winners will be selected by the Heritage Barrie Committee at a future committee meeting. Awards will be presented at City Council in late November or early December.
Past Award Recipients
Heritage Barrie Awards 2012
Heritage Barrie Awards 2013
Heritage Barrie Awards 2014
Heritage Barrie Awards 2015
Heritage Barrie Awards 2016