Artrepreneur is a program designed to equip independent artists, arts administrators and creative entrepreneurs with vital business skills needed for success across all arts disciplines and industries.
Artists are entrepreneurs who contribute greatly to the social and economic well-being of their communities and, as such, require strategic training to grow in capacity. By incubating creatives working across all disciplines in one program, we foster collaboration and the sharing of ideas, tools, tips and best practices, resulting in a well-rounded understanding of what it takes to “make it” as a creative entrepreneur.
This is the third cohort of Artrepreneur Barrie. The program was created by the York Region Arts Council in 2015 and will have completed five cohorts in four municipalities by the end of 2016.
Artrepreneur Barrie is comprised of weekly seminars and workshops, assignments, mentorships and a final presentation and expo over a period of four-months. It primarily serves Barrie based artists, arts groups, arts businesses and creative entrepreneurs working in all creative disciplines such as, though not limited to, visual arts, dance, theatre, film, music, jewelry, fashion, graphic design, gaming and augmented reality. Sessions are hands-on and will range in format from lectures to peer-to-peer workshops.
Throughout the program, faculty will guide fellows in the step-by-step development of a business plan by providing them with templates, learning modules and actionable assignments. By the end of the program, fellows will have a complete business plan and the opportunity to present their work in front of industry leaders. Upon successful completion, fellows will also be awarded a certificate endorsed by all program partners.
- Applicant is an independent artist, Director/President of an arts group/non-profit organization or the Founder/Owner of a creative business
- All arts disciplines, design and those working at the intersection of art, technology & innovation
- Actively practicing and/or in operation for at least one year
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to commute and attend weekly sessions
- Regular access to a computer
Applicants are required to submit all of the following:
- Application form
- Letter of intent outlining your art practice/business, why you want to participate in the program and what you hope to accomplish (maximum 1000 words)
- CV or Resume
- Bio (200 – 400 words)
- Support material – can be one or a combination of the following
- 5 JPG images of recently completed work; 72 dpi, 1024 X 768 pixels, label image files with a number, your name and title of piece (ex. 01_JohnSmith_BirchTrees)
- Samples of event/product/service flyers or brochures (JPG or PDF format), label files with a number, your name or the name of your organization and title (ex. 01_JaneDoe_DanceWorkshopFlyer)
- Maximum 2 minute video (send link to online YouTube or Vimeo video)
- Support material list
||October 2, 2017 by midnight
||By October 13, 2017
|Program Start Date
||November 14, 2017
| Mid-Program Break
||December 20, 2017 – January 8, 2018
|Last In-Class Session
||February 27, 2018
|Expo/Final Presentations & Graduation Ceremony
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. The committee is comprised of representatives from partner organizations who are cultural administrators, local artists, educators and business advisors. A maximum of 30 applicants will be accepted for the program based on meeting eligibility criteria, full completion of application, ability to participate for the full duration of the program, artistic/creative merit and business viability.
Accepted applications will be required to pay a program fee of $115.
Weekly sessions will take place at:
Georgian College's NEW downtown campus:
Arch and Helen Brown Design and Digital arts Centre
5 Ross St. Barrie
The Artrepreneur Expo location will be determined at a later date.
Small Business Centre consultants, Georgian College faculty and advisors from the Henry Bernick Entrepreneurship Centre and Georgian Technology & Visual Arts, ventureLAB Executives In Residence as well as other subject matter expert guest lectures.