A Municipal Consent (MC) is the municipality's authorization for a Utility Company to occupy a specific location within the City’s Rights-Of-Way (ROW). Standard utility corridors and alignments have been established, as detailed in City of Barrie Standard Drawing BSD-42 to avoid conflicts between existing, proposed and future utility and municipal infrastructure. MC’s are only issued to utility companies who have the authority to construct, operate and maintain their infrastructure within the ROW as established through legislation, a Municipal Access Agreement (MAA) or a Franchise Agreement.
When Do I Need Municipal Consent?
All proposed new utility installations within Municipal ROW require MC from the City’s Corporate Asset Management Department and a Right-of-Way Activity Permit (ROWAP). A ROWAP for utility works will not be granted until MC is granted by the Corporate Asset Management Department.
How Do I Apply?
- Applications for Municipal Consent must be sent to:
Attention; Supervisor of Policy & Standards
6th Floor, City Hall
70 Collier Street
Barrie ON. L4M 4T5
- MC applications should be submitted a minimum of 20 days prior to the planned submission for a ROWAP. The City reserves the right to require this time for review/approval.
- The approval of a MC is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance. If the work is not completed in its entirety within the one year period, the Applicant must reapply for consent to locate the remaining work within the right-of-way.
- An application for a MC shall be made in the name of the Utility to be installed, not in the name of an agent of said Utility.
- Detailed information regarding submission requirements can be found in the City of Barrie’s Municipal Consent Manual, and include the following documents and information required for City review and application processing:
- Completed Municipal Consent Application form;
- Utility Applicant’s full company name and project owner (name, address and phone);
- Detailed description of proposed works (location and activity);
- Plans; and,
- Payment of the Municipal Consent Application Fee.
- The application may be forwarded to additional City personnel for review.
How Much Does It Cost?
The applicant is required to pay a fee for the review of their plan drawings. The fee is $100.00 fee (plus HST) per sheet. Fees can be paid via cheque (made payable to the City of Barrie). Should the drawings require changes and resubmission, a fee of $50 (plus HST) per sheet will be charged. The City of Barrie will arrange for invoicing with high-volume applicants, upon request by the applicant.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a