Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Permits, Licences, & Applications

Here you'll find details pertaining to a variety of licences, permits and general applications, administered by departments across the City.


Most businesses require a City of Barrie Business Licence. View the by-law documents below to determine if your business requires a licence, or contact the Municipal Law Enforcement Office (MLEO) at 705-739-4241 or 45 Cedar Pointe Drive.

Business Licencing By-Law (General)

Business Licencing By-law (Transportation)


Getting married? Every marriage in Ontario requires a marriage licence before the actual ceremony takes place. 

Visit to get the government documents needs if you plan to marry in Ontario. Marriage Licence applications may also be obtained at the City of Barrie Legislative and Court Services Department on the first floor of City Hall (70 Collier Street). Licences are issued Monday – Friday, 8:30am–4pm. To avoid lineups and streamline the process, applicants are encouraged to book an appointment in advance by calling 705-739-4204

Requirements & Fees
A current passport (which includes a photo) or an original birth certificate PLUS one piece of photo I.D. (driver's licence, health card, etc.) are required for both applicants. Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent. There are no medical certificates, residency or citizenship requirements. Licences are issued at a cost of $140 (cash, money order, certified cheque, VISA, MasterCard, debit card). A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.

Marriage Ceremony
The City of Barrie's City Clerk does not perform marriage ceremonies. A civil marriage may be performed by a judge, a justice of the peace or a Municipal Clerk and/or their designate. The Rotunda City Hall may be rented for a marriage ceremony performed by a religious officiant, a judge or a justice of the peace. Contact the Legislative and Court Services Department at 705-739-4204 for further details


The City introduced Lifetime Registration in 2016, where pet owners pay one fee to register their pet for life. The one-time fee replaces the previous annual licensing fees. Online Pet Registration is available online or in person. Full information is available on The Law & Your Pets.


Want a Liquor Licence for your establishment? Download the Liquor Licence Application Questionnaire to get started.


Did you know it is illegal to conduct a lottery without a licence?  Find out more and ensure you meet the provincial criteria by referring to the Lottery Licensing By-Law.


Looking to do some renovations or build a shed?  A permit might be required. Information on Building Permits


In addition to municipally run events, the City welcomes a variety of events managed independently. All public events held on municipal property are required to have a Special Event Permit and meet City requirements to ensure a safe and successful event for everyone involved.

Anyone who would like to plan an event on municipal property must first contact the City of Barrie's Special Events Office: 705-739-4285,, 56 Mulcaster Street.

Outdoor Burning

If you want to enjoy an outdoor fire, you are required to have a burn permit.

Oversize Load

Find out the details on how to obtain a single or annual Oversize Load Permit.

Right Of Way Activity (ROWA)

You need a permit to undertake any activity within a right of way or on public lands within the City of Barrie: Right of Way Activity Permit


All signs are required to comply with the Ontario Building Code and/or the City of Barrie’s Sign By-law. Various types of signs may or may not be prohibited under the by-law; please review the by-law to ensure you are in compliance at all times prior to any sign being installed or erected

The Building and By-law Services Department is responsible for the review of sign permits for compliance with The Building Code Act. Municipal Law Enforcement is responsible for administration of the City’s Sign Bylaw, which includes height and setbacks restrictions.

Applications for sign permits can be made at the Municipal Law Enforcement Office, 45 Cedar Pointe Drive, Barrie, Ontario during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, from 8:30am–4:30pm.

Excerpts from City of Barrie Sign By-law

Definition of Mobile Sign: means any mounted sign on a trailer or on a supporting frame which is designed to be transported from one site to another and includes mobile signs with changeable copy and/or illumination.

Definition of Poster Panel Sign: means a sign that advertises goods, products, services or facilities that are not available at the location where the sign is situated or that directs persons to a location different from that where the sign is located, and shall include free standing structures and signs attached in any manner to the wall of a building or structure and includes a standardized sign structure erected and maintained by a business engaged in the sale or rental of space upon which advertising copy is displayed advertising goods or services that are not necessarily conducted within or upon the lot upon which the sign is located.

Definition of Ground Sign: means a sign in a fixed location, wholly supported by one or more uprights, poles, braces or located on a structural base placed in or upon the ground, and includes soft landscape treatment at the base of the sign or supporting structure.

General Applications
BACTS (Specialized Transit)

Full information re eligibility and application process can be found on the Specialized Transit page.

Birth Registration & Certificates

Welcome baby!

Registering your child’s birth is the first step to giving your baby a legal identity. The City of Barrie does not accept or process birth certificate applications. Parents may submit their registration through the following methods:

City Hall Room Bookings

Registered charities and not-for-profit organizations are able to book a meeting room at City Hall. Find out more: City Hall Room Booking Application

Encroachments and Release of Easements

Does your porch or garage encroach on City lands? You need to enter into an encroachment agreement to permit an encroachment. Do you want to install a pool and you have an easement that conflicts? Apply to determine if the easement can be released. 

Application for Encroachment Agreement

Application for Release of Rear Lot Easement

Fire Route Authorization

To permit law enforcement officers to enter a property for the purpose of enforcement with respect to the parking of vehicles in the designated fire route: Fire Route Authorization Form

Handicap Parking Authorization

To permit law enforcement officers to enter a property for the purpose of enforcement with respect to the parking of vehicles in the designated handicap parking spaces: Handicap Parking Authorization Form

Municipal Consent Application

You need to obtain Municipal Consent in order to make any new utility installations within a right of way or on public lands within the City of Barrie: Municipal Consent Application            

Outdoor Patios, Blade Signage and Awnings

A vibrant and healthy City Centre includes outdoor patios, blade signage and awnings that actively promote the Downtown and attract a greater number of residents, tourists and new business. Interested business owners are encouraged to learn more via City Revitalization.

Planning & Development Applications

Official Plan or Zoning By-law Amendments
The information you need to make an application to the City for an Official Plan amendment or a Zoning By-law amendment is outlined within via the Development Review Process.

Pre-Consultation for Concept Site Plan Review
The City of Barrie provides a pre-consultation service for the review of concept site plans prior to making formal application for Site Plan Approval. The intention is to identify any issues that need to be addressed and to inform the applicant of the City’s interests, fees and the anticipated costs of development, up front. Full information is available via Development Review Process.

Site Plan Application
Development of a significant portion of land within the City of Barrie is subject to Site Plan Control. Therefore, applicants must consult City staff to determine if the parcel(s) of land to be developed are located within the City’s Site Plan Control Area. In a designated Site Plan Control Area an application for Site Plan approval is required prior to development. Full information is available via Development Review Process.

The review and approval of a proposed plan of subdivision for draft plan approval is a process which permits the division of a parcel of land into 1 or more lots/blocks in order for them to be sold. Full information is available via Development Review Process.

Real Estate: Appraisal Calculation of Cash in Lieu of Parkland

The Legal Services Department's Real Estate section provides real property acquisition and disposal, expropriation, market valuation of land, and real property asset management. Application: Appraisal Calculation of Cash in Lieu of Parkland

Real Estate: Road Closing of Purchase Surplus Land

In some specific cases topography, location, or alternate access routes will negate the need for a road, and the road may be considered surplus to the public's needs. If this is the case, the road may be available for sale. The Legal Services Department's Real Estate section provides real property acquisition and disposal, expropriation, market valuation of land, and real property asset management. Application: Road Closing of Purchase Surplus Land

Tax Rebate & Deferral 

Full guidelines and applications regarding tax rebate programs are available via Property Taxes.

Two-Unit House Registration / Second Suites

The City of Barrie requires every two-unit house within the city to be registered. As part of the registration process, the City will confirm that the two-unit house is legal under the City’s Zoning Bylaw, and that the house complies with several health and safety regulations. Full information is available via Rental Properties.

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.