Outdoor Solid Fuel Burning Appliances (OSFBA)
There is currently
NOT a fire ban in Barrie for residents with permits for
OSFBAs. Should a ban come into effect, this page will be updated, a press release will be
issued, and notices will be posted via Facebook &
Outdoor burning must be done in an approved OSFBA and requires a permit. For
property owners, permits are available online and at BFES Headquarters,
155 Dunlop Street West,
at a cost of $10. Permits are issued per calendar year and expire on December
31 of each year.
Residents need to meet the requirements in the OSFBA By-law # 2007-210 and obtain a $10.00 permit. If we receive a
complaint, fire crews will respond and ask that the fire be extinguished (even
with a permit). On second complaint we will issue a provincial offense notice
and a fine of $305.00.
Please note: tenants require the owner's permission to obtain a
permit. Tenants must apply in person at 155 Dunlop Street West with
the owner's permission in writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit.
Apply for Fire Permit Online
I understand and acknowledge that:
- I am the property owner.
Tenants require the owner's permission in writing
(email/letter) to obtain a permit. Tenants must apply in
person at 155 Dunlop Street West with the owner's permission in
writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit.)
- I have read and acknowledged the Outdoor Solid Fuel Burning
Appliance (OSFBA) By-law # 2007-210;
- It is the responsibility of the person named on the OSFBA to
adhere to the OSFBA By-law;
- The issue of a permit shall not be deemed a waiver of any
provisions of any By-laws or requirement of the Ontario Building
Code Act, Ontario Fire Code or regulations made there under;
- In the event a permit is issued, any departure from specific
conditions, plans, specifications or the OSFBA By-law are
prohibited and could result in the permit being immediately revoked
and/or legal action;
- In the event the permit is revoked for any cause there shall be
no right of claim whatsoever against The Corporation of the City of
Barrie or any official thereof and any such claim is hereby
Note: If you apply for
an OSFBA permit and you are not the registered owner of the property,
your application will be denied and the $10 application fee will not be
- I am the property owner Decline
- An approved OSFBA is designed to use solid fuel, is made of
noncombustible materials, is enclosed on all sides, has a spark arresting
device for all vents and chimneys.
- Fire must be kept to a minimum: 4m from any dwelling or structure, 2m
from any combustible materials, 5m from the forest or woodland, 3m from
- Burning is only allowed from 8am to midnight.
- Burn dry, clean wood only.
- Do not burn when wind speed is greater than 20 km/h, rain or fog is
present or when a burn ban is in place.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a