Outdoor Solid Fuel Burning Appliances (OSFBA) Permits
There is currently NOT a fire ban in Barrie for residents with permits for OSFBAs. Should a ban come into effect, this page will be updated, a press release will be issued, and notices will be posted via Facebook & Twitter.
Outdoor burning must be done in an approved OSFBA and requires a permit. For property owners, permits are available online and at BFES Headquarters, 155 Dunlop Street West (Monday to Friday, 8:30am–4:30pm), at a cost of $22. Permits are issued per calendar year and expire on December 31 of each year.
Residents need to meet the requirements in the OSFBA By-law # 2007-210 and obtain a $22 permit. If we receive a complaint, fire crews will respond and ask that the fire be extinguished (even with a permit). On second complaint we will issue a provincial offense notice and a fine of $305.00.
Please note: tenants require the owner's permission to obtain a permit. Tenants must apply in person at 155 Dunlop Street West (open weekdays, 8:30am–4:30pm) with the owner's permission in writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit.
Apply for Fire Permit Online
I understand and acknowledge that:
- I am the property owner.
Tenants require the owner's permission in writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit. Tenants must apply in person at 155 Dunlop Street West with the owner's permission in writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit.)
- I have read and acknowledged the Outdoor Solid Fuel Burning Appliance (OSFBA) By-law # 2007-210;
- It is the responsibility of the person named on the OSFBA to adhere to the OSFBA By-law;
- The issue of a permit shall not be deemed a waiver of any provisions of any By-laws or requirement of the Ontario Building Code Act, Ontario Fire Code or regulations made there under;
- In the event a permit is issued, any departure from specific conditions, plans, specifications or the OSFBA By-law are prohibited and could result in the permit being immediately revoked and/or legal action;
- In the event the permit is revoked for any cause there shall be no right of claim whatsoever against The Corporation of the City of Barrie or any official thereof and any such claim is hereby expressly waived.
Note: If you apply for an OSFBA permit and you are not the registered owner of the property, your application will be denied and the application fee will not be refunded.
Accept - I am the property owner Decline
- An approved OSFBA is designed to use solid fuel, is made of noncombustible materials, is enclosed on all sides, has a spark arresting device for all vents and chimneys.
- Fire must be kept to a minimum: 4m from any dwelling or structure, 2m from any combustible materials, 5m from the forest or woodland, 3m from overhanging vegetation.
- Burning is only allowed from 8am to midnight.
- Burn dry, clean wood only.
- Do not burn when wind speed is greater than 20 km/h, rain or fog is present or when a burn ban is in place.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a