Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.
12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety
Keep your Family Safe at Home for the Holidays
Taking responsibility for your family’s safety is important every day. It rings especially true around the holidays, historically one of the most dangerous times of the year.
To reduce fire losses this year, the Barrie Fire and Emergency Service is asking residents to consider a holiday fire safety tip each day, with their 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety campaign, as we head into the holiday season. The tips have been developed to prevent the most common types of home fires that occur during the holiday season.
- Water fresh trees daily.
- Check all sets of lighting before decorating to ensure they are in good condition.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms.
- Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms.
- Make sure everyone knows how to get out safely if a fire occurs.
- Use extension cords wisely.
- Give space heaters space.
- When you go out, blow out all candles.
- Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.
- Watch what you heat! Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
- Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
- Keep a close eye on anyone in your household who consumes alcohol while cooking or smoking.
There are many ways to protect your family and home from fire. During this busy time of the year, it is easy to let one’s guard down. And that’s when a fire can happen. Consider these holiday fire safety tips to ensure your family has a safe and happy holiday season.