Sewer Use By-Law
What is the Sewer Use By-Law?
The Sewer Use By-law (2012-172) prohibits, regulates and inspects the discharge of water and sewage into the sanitary and storm sewers within the City of Barrie.
The Sewer Use By-Law establishes limits for various water quality parameters such as; phosphorus, nutrients, and suspended solids.
Why is the Sewer Use By-law Important?
It is important to know that there are two types of sewers systems within the City of Barrie. The sanitary sewer carries wastewater from homes and business to the Water Pollution Control Centre where it is treated. The storm sewer system collects rain water and melted snow from the streets and discharges it into local creeks and streams and Lake Simcoe.
In order to maintain properly functioning sanitary and storm sewers, hazardous substances such as paints and fuels must not enter the municipal sewer systems. In order to ensure that this does not happen, discharges must be controlled at their sources.
The benefits of the Sewer Use By-law:
- Healthier aquatic environment
- Protection of Lake Simcoe and its tributaries
- Improved water quality
- Safe conditions for recreational water activities
- Continued beauty of local natural resource for citizens’ enjoyment
Unacceptable discharges to the sanitary and storm sewers could result in:
- The release of harmful substances to Lake Simcoe
- Damage to municipal infrastructure
- Interference with the normal operation of the wastewater treatment plant
- An inability to re-use the treated sludge (biosolids) as an agricultural fertilizer
- A threat to the health and safety of the public and staff of the City of Barrie.
How is the By-law Enforced?
City of Barrie's Environmental Investigation and Response Section enforces the Sewer Use By-law for all City of Barrie residents and Industrial/Commercial/Institutional (ICI) facilities through compliance inspections and monitoring.
What is a Waste Survey Report?
A waste survey report is a document that the City of Barrie requires all ICI businesses to complete as stated in the Sewer Use By-law. These reports assist the City to better understand and monitor ICI facilities. The report furnishes information such as a description of operations, wastewater characteristics, disposal practises, spill prevention and schematic process diagrams.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a