Driver for Hire, Rideshare & Taxicabs
The Transportation Industry, comprised of driver for hire, rideshare and taxicab companies, provides many options to get around our city. With ever-increasing choice for residents and visitors, this page includes information on Barrie's currently licensed transportation companies, how they're regulated and tips for a smooth ride.
Share your Experiences
Have you recently used a taxicab, rideshare (private transportation) or driver for hire company in Barrie? The City is seeking feedback about your experiences through the Transportation Industry By-law survey.
Results gathered after August 1, 2017, will be compared with previously collected results to help determine if the Transportation Industry By-law updates ensure public safety, maintain ride service levels and create competitive rates for all passenger transportation companies in Barrie.
Transportation Industry By-law updates in effect
The updated Transportation Industry By-law came into effect on August 1, 2017, which reduces taxicab regulations and creates two new licensing categories to address rideshare (private transportation) and driver for hire operations.
The updated regulations will apply equally to all types of passenger transportation services and include:
- Minimum service standards to ensure passenger safety (insurance requirements, vehicle safety certificates and criminal background checks);
- Companies freedom to set tariff rates including discounts and price surges;
- Rates posted in the vehicle or available electronically;
- Car and/or driver appearance regulations removed;
- Company office access and 24/7 operation regulations removed; and
- No limit to cars/drivers.
Share your recent experiences with passenger transportation companies in Barrie through the Transportation Industry By-law survey.
The previous Transportation Industry By-law came into effect in 2007 and set out licensing criteria specifically related to taxicabs. Over the decade, the industry became highly-regulated with protocols for tariff rates, taxicab markings, meters, safety certificates, insurance, aesthetics for both car and driver, criminal record checks, driver abstracts, company letters, photo identification, office space and hours, and number of cars.
The industry also expanded to include rideshare (private transportation) and driver for hire transportation services, which didn't fall under this, or any other, by-law.
Whether you’re a first time rider or a seasoned passenger, here are some tips to help ensure your ride runs smoothly:
- Confirm the rate for your ride before getting in;
- If you are concerned with the rates you were charged, contact the company;
- If you feel a driver acted inappropriate towards yourself, other cars or pedestrians, contact the City to report it at (705) 739-4241; and
- If you are concerned that a vehicle is unsafe, contact the City to report it at (705) 739-4241.
Licensed Transportation Companies
A taxicab company provides cars that carry passengers to a place for an amount of money based on the distance traveled. The following taxicab companies are licensed to operate in Barrie:
Driver for Hire
A driver for hire company provides drivers who carry a passenger in the passengers’ own vehicle. The following driver for hire companies are licensed to operate in Barrie:
A rideshare (or private transportation) company provides drivers who carry passenger in the driver’s own vehicle for a fee, often arranged by website or app. The following rideshare companies are licensed to operate in Barrie:
The City and Downtown Barrie BIA have worked together to provide late evening taxicab parking spaces in the downtown core. Taxicab stands are designated parking stalls that provide the following benefits:
- to safely and efficiently move patrons to and from nearby establishments located within the core;
- to reduce the negative impacts to traffic operations along busy roadways; and
- to reduce the potential for driving while under the influence.
The stands are in effect for late evening operation. View a detailed map of the parking spaces and hours of operation.
For more information on taxicab stands, please contact Justin MacDonald at 705-739-4220 x 5178 or Justin.MacDonald@barrie.ca.