Driver for Hire, Rideshare & Taxicabs
The Transportation Industry, comprised of driver for hire, rideshare and taxicab companies, provides many options to get around our city. With ever-increasing choice for residents and visitors, this page includes information on Barrie's currently licensed transportation companies, how they're regulated and tips for a smooth ride.
Share your Experiences
Have you recently used a taxicab, rideshare (private transportation) or driver for hire company in Barrie? The City is preparing to update the Transportation Industry By-law on August 1, 2017, and is seeking feedback about your experiences through the Transportation Industry By-law survey.
The Transportation Industry By-law came into effect in 2007 and currently sets out licensing criteria specifically related to taxicabs. Since then, the industry has expanded to include rideshare (private transportation) and driver for hire transportation services, which currently do not fall under this or any other by-law.
Results collected prior to August will become the baseline to compare experiences with after the updates begin. All information gathered will guide any updates necessary for a comprehensive Transportation Industry By-law that ensures public safety, maintains ride service levels and creates competitive rates for all transportation companies in Barrie.
Licensed Transportation Companies
Taxicabs (Currently Licensed)
A taxicab company provides cars that carry passengers to a place for an amount of money based on the distance traveled. The following taxicab companies are licensed to operate in Barrie:
Driver for Hire (Licensed as of August 1, 2017)
A driver for hire company provides drivers who carry a passenger in the passengers’ own vehicle. The following driver for hire companies are licensed to operate in Barrie starting August 1, 2017:
Rideshare (Licensed as of August 1, 2017)
A rideshare (or private transportation) company provides drivers who carry passenger in the driver’s own vehicle for a fee, often arranged by website or app. The following rideshare companies are licensed to operate in Barrie starting August 1, 2017:
The Transportation Industry By-law came into effect in 2007 and currently sets out licensing criteria specifically related to taxicabs. It has become a highly-regulated industry with protocols for tariff rates, taxicab markings, meters, safety certificates, insurance, aesthetics for both car and driver, criminal record checks, driver abstracts, company letters, photo identification, office space and hours, and number of cars.
Since then, the transportation industry has expanded to include rideshare (private transportation) and driver for hire transportation services, which currently do not fall under this by-law.
Updates to the Transportation Industry By-law will begin August 1, 2017. Share your recent experiences with a driver for hire, rideshare (private transportation) or taxicab in Barrie through the Transportation Industry By-law survey.
The by-law update reduces overall taxicab regulations and creates two new licensing categories to address rideshare (private transportation) and driver for hire operations. Any regulations put in place will apply equally to all types of vehicle transportation services.
- Minimum service standards to ensure passenger safety (insurance requirements, vehicle safety certificates and criminal background checks);
- Companies now set tariff rates including discounts and price surges;
- Rates must be posted in the vehicle or available electronically;
- No regulations regarding car and/or driver appearance;
- No regulations regarding company office access and 24/7 operation; and
- No limit to cars/drivers.
Whether you’re a first time rider or a seasoned passenger, here are some tips to help ensure your ride runs smoothly:
- Confirm the rate for your ride before getting in;
- If you are concerned with the rates you were charged, contact the company;
- If you feel a driver acted inappropriate towards yourself, other cars or pedestrians, contact the City to report it at (705) 739-4241; and
- If you are concerned that a vehicle is unsafe, contact the City to report it at (705) 739-4241.
The City and Downtown Barrie BIA have worked together to provide late evening taxicab parking spaces in the downtown core. Taxicab stands are designated parking stalls that provide the following benefits:
- to safely and efficiently move patrons to and from nearby establishments located within the core;
- to reduce the negative impacts to traffic operations along busy roadways; and
- to reduce the potential for driving while under the influence.
The stands are in effect for late evening operation. View a detailed map of the parking spaces and hours of operation.
For more information on taxicab stands, please contact Justin MacDonald at 705-739-4220 x 5178 or Justin.MacDonald@barrie.ca.