The City of Barrie offers both conventional bus service with Barrie Transit and Specialized Transit Services for people with mobility restrictions with Barrie Accessible Community Transportation Service (BACTS). Transit Information, Customer Tips and Advertising Opportunities are listed on this page.
How to Use Barrie Transit
Route and Schedule Information
Buses display a route name in the front window above the windshield. This indicates the general destination of each bus. Complete route and schedule information is available here or contact Barrie Transit.
Barrie Transit's 'Value Transfer'
Barrie Transit's 'Value Transfer' allows you 60 minutes of free travel in any direction on any route from the time you board the bus. You can even make short trips on only one fare as long as you are back on the return bus before the time on your transfer expires. Transfers must be requested when you pay your fare and can only be used by the person to whom it was issued. If you're unsure of the expiry time, ask your transit operator.
The Night Stop program allows passengers travelling after 9 p.m. to request transit drivers to stop at any safe location along a route to ensure they arrive safely. Let the transit operator know at least one stop before the location you wish to be dropped off at and leave from the front door.
Need another route map/timetable?
You can get additional copies of route maps and timetables from any transit operator, the Transit Terminal ticket counter, City Hall or by contacting Barrie Transit 739-4209.
Lost And Found
All articles found on our buses are taken to the Lost and Found at the Barrie Transit Terminal, 24 Maple Avenue, Suite 205.
Barrie Transit does not operate on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Victoria Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Special service is provided on Canada Day, Civic Holidays and Boxing Day. Service schedules vary. Watch for special service postings at the Terminal, on your bus and in the Schedules, Maps & Fares.
Student Photo ID Card
Discount Ride Cards and Monthly Passes are available for full-time students who are registered in a full-time educational program. High School Students can buy Reduced Ride Cards and Monthly Passes. Students in College, University or post-secondary programs can purchase Adult Ride Cards and Student Monthly Passes. Reduced Ride Cards and Student Monthly passes can only be used with a valid Student Photo Identification Card issued by the educational institution you attend or with a Barrie Transit Photo ID Card. Please present your valid ID Card with the appropriate discounted card or pass, to the transit operator. Without a valid Photo Identification Card you will be considered an Adult and the Adult fare rate will apply.
Barrie Transit Photo ID Card
If a full time student is not able to obtain a valid Student Photo Identification Card issued by the educational institution they attend, a Barrie Transit Identification Card can be purchased which will enable students to be eligible for discount transit fares. Please bring the completed application form to the Ticket Sales Counter at the Barrie Transit Terminal. Photo ID Cards are $5. Application forms must be completed by the student and the school administration office.
Barrie Transit Student Photo Identification Card Application Form
Monthly Pass and Semester Pass
Monthly passes are available in different categories and allow unlimited use during the month in which they are valid. High School, College, University and post secondary students require a valid Student Photo Identification Card or Barrie Transit Photo ID Card for their passes to be valid. Georgian College Semester passes are valid for four months. A valid Georgian College Photo Identification Card or Barrie Transit Photo Id Card must be accompanied by the user for the pass to be valid. The semester pass will start in January, May or September.
Get a Federal Tax Credit and Save. Keep your Expired Monthly Passes
Effective July 1 2006, all Barrie Transit Monthly and Semester pass users are eligible to receive a Federal Tax Credit on their next income tax return. Simply keep your expired monthly pass to submit with your tax return. Your expired pass serves as your receipt. Barrie Transit cannot replace lost expired passes for income tax purposes. For more information please visit www.transitpass.ca
Barrie Accessible Community Transportation Service (BACTS)
The Barrie Accessible Community Transportation Service (BACTS) is a specialized bus transportation service provided by the City of Barrie, operated to assist those persons with mobility difficulties. This service provides transportation from accessible door to accessible door. Riders must be registered to use BACTS. Please visit Accessible Transportation for more information.
Barrie Transit is pleased to provide our community with accessible low floor buses on all our transit routes. Low floor buses have no stairs so boarding is easy, plus they have a ramp and space for two wheelchairs or for people with disabilities who require the use of this space. Our Transit fleet is also equipped with on-board next stop announcement system, which means that each stop is verbally and visually announced through electronic means. Should you require to know the direction or destination of the bus you are boarding please ask the Operator.
- Transit operators do not carry money and cannot make change.
- Have your fare, ride card, pass, transfer and/or identification card ready when boarding the bus at the front door. If you are a Senior Citizen, Student or Visually Impaired, show your appropriate valid I.D. when you present your appropriate ride card or pass.
- Please ask for your transfer while boarding the bus when you pay your fare. Exit at the rear doors.
- When boarding with a stroller, walker, or grocery cart, try and keep the aisle as clear as possible. Please remove children from wagons.
- Priority front seating on Barrie Transit is designated for use as follows: 1. People using wheelchairs or scooter
2. Persons with disabilities
Note: Children in strollers will be accommodated, however, should anyone noted in priority (1) or (2) require the wheelchair area, you will be asked to move to another seat and you may need to fold your stroller.
- Large articles may be permitted at the discretion of the transit operator, provided that there is space on the bus, they do not block the aisles or doors and other customers are not inconvenienced. This includes items such as bikes, large packages, and sporting equipment. Items must be safely contained. The transit operator is not required to assist with the boarding and unloading of these articles.
- In line skates, roller skates, and ice skates must be removed before boarding the bus.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn.
- For a pleasant and clean environment for all riders, please do not place your feet on the bus seats.
- Dogs on leashes and small non-exotic pets are permitted when carried without danger or offence to other passengers, except Monday to Friday during peak periods (i.e. 7:00 am to 9:00 am and from 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm). Exemptions include guide dogs for the visually impaired or hearing impaired and/or small animals that are kept in a small cage or enclosure.
- Smoking is prohibited in all City of Barrie facilities, including Barrie Transit buses and bus shelters.
- No eating or drinking on board the bus.
- Toxic, flammable and hazardous materials are not allowed on the bus.
- Please ensure that you are standing at the correct bus stop. Route Numbers are displayed on some Bus Stop Signs. These signs indicate to passengers that this bus stop is serviced only by the Route Numbers displayed on the Bus Stop sign. If there are no numbers displayed on the Bus Stop Signs, the bus stop is serviced by any Barrie Transit bus that is in service on that street.
Transit Advertising Opportunities
Advertising opportunities are available on the exterior and interior of Barrie Transit buses, bus shelters and on benches with advertising panels at bus stops. For information please contact:
Bus Exterior and Interior Advertising
Sambrook Media Corp.
10 Alexander Hunter Place
Markham ON L6E 1A8
Toll free 1-866-415-0024
Bus Shelter Advertising:
Pattison Outdoor Advertising
Dan Borg, Sales Manager, Ontario Regional
2700 Matheson Blvd, Suite 500, West Tower, Mississauga, ON L4W 4V9
Toll Free 1-800-363-1675
Creative Outdoor Advertising
2402 Stouffville Road
Gormley ON L0H 1G0
Toll Free 1-800-661-6088