Building a Deck or Porch
Thinking of building a deck and/or porch on your property? Before you start, here is a guide to help you through the project.
Deck: a platform, or series of platforms, accessory to a main building that may be free-standing or attached to it.
Porch: a covered entranceway accessory to a main building
Sight Triangle: Required for corners lots, they provide increased visibility at intersections for the safety of pedestrians and motorists.
Planning Your Project
Before you begin, contact Service Barrie at 705-739-4242 or ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca to ensure your project:
- Complies with Zoning By-law section 188.8.131.52 (porch) or 184.108.40.206 (deck) for set-backs and lot coverage
- Doesn’t require a permit from a local conservation authority
- Doesn’t infringe on your property’s zoned land use
Call Before You Dig! Always contact Ontario One Call before you dig, even if it’s just with a shovel, to locate any underground cables or lines below the surface.
Zoning By-law Standards
||Minimum Distance from Lot Line
|Interior side yard
|Exterior side yard, corner lot
|Rear yard, corner lot
- Deck specifications
- Decks and porches cannot be located on easements. You may be able to have the easement released. For further information on easements please contact Legal Services 705-739-4220 x 4479
- If you are building a pergola on a deck, you may require a development permit and will also have to make a deck application.
- Decks less than 1.75m (5.9 ft2) above grade are exempt from the 45% maximum permitted lot coverage.
- All corner lots shall provide a sight triangle consisting of an unobstructed triangular area where the front lot line and the exterior side lot line intersect. Sight triangles provide increased visibility at intersections for the safety of pedestrians and motorists. If your property is a corner lot, be sure plans comply with sight triangle Zoning By-law standards:
||Minimum Distance from Lot Line
|Arterial or Collector Roads
||5m (16.4ft) x 5m (16.4ft)
||3m (9.8ft) x 3m (9.8ft)
|Arterial or Collector Road abutting Local Road
||5m (16.4ft) x 3m (9.8ft)
|Sight triangles shall be measured from the point of intersection of the lot lines. Planting is not permitted in the area of a sight triangle as plants can grow to become sight barriers.
Completing Your Project
Apply for a building permit
prior to starting any work. When the permit is issued, construction can commence. This project requires:
- Residential Deck Permit if the deck/porch is greater than 10m2 (107ft2) and attached to the building or located at an entrance
- No permits if the deck/porch is less than 10m2 (107ft2) and not attached to the building or located at an entrance
Inspections: Below are the commonly required inspections based on permit type. There may be additional inspections required on a case-by-case basis. Call 705-739-4231 anytime (24/7) to request an inspection.
||When to call
||When the footings are formed and reinforcements installed (if required), prior to pouring concrete
||When all framing is complete, including roof framing. If deck is less than 24” in height, call for inspection prior to installing deck boards.
||When all deck boards and guards/railings are installed (if required)
|Construction may be done in phases. Such projects may require additional inspections.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is meant for guiding purposes only. Individual home renovation projects vary in scope and may require additional steps to ensure proper completion. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure work conforms to any restrictive covenants, caveats or other restrictions that are registered on the land title. The information above has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Barrie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a