Recreational and Intermediate Volleyball Leagues
Location and days are dependant upon league. New and returning players/teams should register for the league that best fits the skill and competitive level of their team.
The Recreational League is ideal for beginner players, or individuals that have been away from the sport for a long time. Attacking is not permitted in this league (however, down balls are allowed). This league will take place on Monday evenings at the East Bayfield Community Centre.
The Intermediate League is for those players/teams that are looking to be more competitive than the Recreational league. Attacking is permitted. Teams that have been in previous City of Barrie leagues would have finished in the Championship rounds of the Recreational league, or in the Consolation rounds of the Competitive League would be the perfect fit fo the Intermediate League. This league will take place at the Holly Community Centre on Wednesday evenings.
If a team does not meet the minimum team requirements at 15 minutes after the scheduled start time, they forfeit the first set. If they do not meet the minimum team requirements at 25 minutes past the scheduled start time, they forfeit the entire game (all 6 points).
- There must be a minimum of 3 females on the court at all times.
- A team is allowed to play with 5 people on the court, but there still must be 3 females. Anything less than 5 results in a forfeit.
- If a team starts the game with 3 females, and one of them gets injured during the game, the team can continue to play with 2 females, but they must play short handed.
- ALL players must be registered before they are able to play in the league. If you have someone playing on your team that is not registered, all games that are won while that individual(s) is playing will be considered a loss.
- If any team wishes to make additions/changes to their team, they must be done prior to the third week of the league.
- Each game consists of 3 sets. Two sets will go to 25 and the third set is to 15. You must win by 2 to a max of 27 (first 2 sets) and 17 (for the third set)
- For each set won, the team will receive 2 points. These points will accumulate throughout the season to determine the seeding for playoffs
- You are permitted one step in on both sides of the court when serving
- Each player can only serve a maximum of 5 serves consecutively
- The net is set at women’s height
- Men must attack from behind the attack line - Intermeidate League only
- Attacking is not permitted in the REC league, however, down balls are permitted. These rules apply to both men and women.
- Tipping for men must be done with a closed hand in an upward motion
- Men ARE allowed to block. However, they cannot break their wrists for the block
- You cannot kick the volleyball (full leg swing) – REC LEAGUE ONLY
- Subs can rotate in when your team regains possession
- Each team is responsible for keeping score (one team will do the score sheet and the other, the flip cards)
- All rules will be subject to the agreed upon rules of the OVA
Other Rules & Guidelines
Each team is provided with 2-30 second time-outs per set. These time-outs do NOT carry over if not used in the previous sets.
Tie Break Procedure for Final Standings
- Head-to-head (the 2 teams records against one another)
- Points allowed (in 3 way ties, the team with the least amount of points allowed in games involving the tied teams)
- Playoffs will be the best 2 out of 3 sets
- Every team makes playoffs
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a