Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksLegalServices Legal Services

Department of

Legal Services

This page informs on the department's role in the working structure of the organization, positioned to best serve our community.

The Legal Services Department provides legal services to the Corporation, including City Council, staff and certain boards and agencies. 

The functions of the department include the following:

  • Provision of general and specific legal advice
  • Representing the Corporation before various levels of courts and administrative tribunals
  • Real estate transactions (purchase, sales, leases, encroachments, expropriations, etc.) on behalf of the Corporation

Legal services or advice is not provided to the public.  If you are looking for a lawyer, for a nominal charge, you can contact the Law Society’s Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-668-7380​ and they will put you in touch with a lawyer who practices law in the area of your concern for a ½ hour free consultation.  If you require Legal Aid, please call (705) 737-3400.  If your question concerns a Landlord or Tenant matter, please call 1-888-332-3234.

Legal Services Department

The Legal and Real Estate Services Branch is divided into the following sections:

Legal Services:

Acts as legal advisor to City Council, the Corporation, its boards and agencies.  The Branch also advocates for the City on matters that include planning, the environment, land development and real estate.  This is done primarily by in-house staff, but also through the use of private law firms in certain circumstances.

The Legal Services Branch is headed by the Director and presently includes a two Solicitors, Junior Solicitor and two Law Clerks.

Real Estate Services:

Provides the following: real property acquisition and disposal, expropriation, market valuation of land, real property asset management. 

Please be advised that effective November 1, 2020, the City of Barrie’s Legal Services Department will no longer be providing responses to requests for information, status, or compliance letters for interests or agreements registered on title to property. This includes Development Agreements, Easements, By-Laws and all other documents that may be registered on title.


Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.