On occasion, Barrie City Council invites applications from citizens who desire to have their names considered for appointment to advisory committees. Vacancies are posted on this page & communicated via This Week in Barrie, Facebook, and Twitter.
Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee
Barrie City Council invites applications/resumes from the members of the public who desire to have their names considered for appointment to the Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee.
The powers and functions of the Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee are established in subsection 88.37 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. The purpose of the Committee is to receive and make decisions regarding applications for compliance audits of candidates’ and registered third party 2018 municipal election campaign finances, and any by-election campaign finances during the 2018 to 2022 Council term.
The Committee will be comprised of three (3) members of the public, to be appointed for a term to expire November 15, 2022. Membership is not restricted to citizens of Barrie.
Please note that those individuals who are employees or officers of the City, or any of its local boards, members of City Council or any of its local boards, any persons who are candidates in the municipal election, and any persons who are registered third parties will be disqualified. Any persons who have a personal or professional relationship with any persons who are mayoral or councillor candidates, or registered third parties in the municipal election, will also be disqualified.
The City of Barrie is seeking applicants with the following qualifications and backgrounds:
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of campaign financing rules of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
- Proven analytical and decision making skills
- Experience working on Committees, task forces or similar settings
- Understanding of quasi-judicial proceedings
- Availability and willingness to attend meetings (daytime and/or evening)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Accountants and Auditors with experience in preparing or auditing the financial statements of Municipal candidates;
- College or university professors with expertise in political science or local government administration;
- Legal profession with experience in municipal law, municipal election law or administrative law;
- Professions who in the course of their duties are required to adhere to codes or standards of their professions which may be enforced by disciplinary tribunals.
A meeting per diem will be paid for each of the members appointed to the Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee.
Applications and resumes containing details regarding qualifications and applicable experience for the above appointments may be directed to the undersigned at the City Clerk's Office at City Hall 70 Collier Street, P.O. Box 400, L4M 4T5. Please return your completed application to the address noted below, in person, by mail, or by fax 739-4243 no later than 4:30 p.m. on August 24, 2018.
For further information, please contact, City Clerk, Wendy Cooke at 739-4220 extension 4560, or Deputy City Clerk Jeff Carswell at 739-4220 extension 4450.
Personal information received in response to these notices is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001.