Consistent with the City’s practice of demonstrating transparent, accountable and ethical governance, City Council adopted a Code of Conduct for Members of Council and its Boards and Committees.
The Council Code of Conduct is to establish standards of conduct for Members of Council, Local Boards and Committee Members in the individual conduct of their official duties. These standards will help protect and maintain the City of Barrie’s reputation and integrity.
Maintaining a high quality of public administration and governance can be achieved in part by encouraging high standards of conduct on the part of City officials. The public is entitled to expect the highest standards of conduct from members that are elected or appointed to serve their local government.
A written Code of Conduct helps to ensure that the members of Council share a common basis of acceptable conduct. These standards are designed to supplement the legislative parameters within which the members must operate. They are intended to enhance public confidence that the City of Barrie’s elected and appointed officials operate from a basis of integrity, justice and courtesy. Barrie’s Code of Conduct regulates a wide range of conduct by elected and appointed officials.
• Improper receipt of gifts and benefits;• Misuse and improper securing of confidential information;
• Inappropriate use of City property, services and other resources, including using City facilities for campaign purposes;
• Allowing employment prospects to influence the way in which a Councillor performs her or his role;
• Avoidance of waste;
• Business relations;
• Misbehaviour at Council meetings;
• Mistreatment of staff;
• Improper use of influence;
• Discreditable behaviour towards other Councillors, staff and members of the public; and,
• Failing to follow Council policies.
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a
There are no items to display.