Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation Links249-Anne-Street 249 Anne Street North

File # D14-1669

249 Anne Street North

Applications have been received for Rezoning for a proposed Air-supported structure at 249 Anne Street North.

Type of ApplicationDate Received / Deemed CompleteStatus
Zoning by-law amendmentMarch 19th, 2019​
Under Review


Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit a 71,266 ft2 air-supported recreational structure (i.e. a ‘Sports Dome’) on top of the school’s existing sports field.  The applicant is also proposing to amend the current zoning of the property from Educational Institutional (I-E) and Major Institutional (I-M) to Educational Institutional (I-E) with special zoning provisions to add “Recreational Establishment” as a permitted use to permit the establishment of a sports dome, share existing parking with the school​ and permit a maximum height of 20m.

Key Dates

Neighbourhood Meeting249 Anne Street North (Catholic High School New Alliance)
Tuesday, June 18, 2019 starting at 7:00pm.

​Open House & Public Meeting 


Staff Report

​​City Hall - 70 Collier Street 
Monday October 7th, 2019 (Open house at 5:45pm, Public Meeting at 7pm)

Early 2020 (date to be confirmed)
7:00 pm - City Hall, Council Chambers, 70 Collier Street

Common Documents Requested for Viewing

Available documents are listed below. Additional information can be obtained from planner noted above

 Glossary: Planning Terms

Official Plan Amendment

An Official Plan Amendment is required to revise or change the land use of a property as recognized by the City’s Official Plan.  For example, change the land use from Commercial uses to Residential uses.


A Rezoning application is required to revise or change the lands use or density of a property as recognized by the City’s Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw. For example, change the density of property from Residential Single Detached Dwelling Second Density R2 to Residential Apartment Dwelling First Density RA1.

Site Plan Control

When a residential medium or high density, industrial, institutional or commercial property is located within a Site Plan Control area, development of the site requires approval from the City of Barrie. Site Plan approval is delegated to the Planning & Building Services Department. Signage is posted on the subject lands to inform the public that an application has been filed. No Public Meeting is held, no approval is required by Council, and the decision cannot be appealed by the general public.

Subdivision Approval

Subdivision approval occurs when a parcel of land is subdivided into various lots and/or blocks, where each lot or block is developed individually. Subdivision approval is delegated to Planning Staff. No Council decision is made on the matter.

Neighbourhood Meeting

Informal meeting hosted by the City at a venue in close proximity to the application location. The applicant presents the proposed development and attendees have the opportunity to ask questions. City staff provide information on application processing and timing. No decisions are made at this meeting. Notice of a Neighbourhood Meeting is mailed to property owners within 240m from the subject lands boundary, e-mailed to ward residents (, & posted on Facebook & Twitter. Signage is posted on the subject lands.

Public Meeting

Formal meeting of General Committee where the applicant makes presentation re the proposed development. The public has the opportunity to speak and ask questions. No decisions are made at this meeting. Notice of the Public Meeting is mailed to property owners within 120m from the subject lands boundary & contained in the local newspaper. Signage is posted on the subject lands. Learn more:

General Committee Meeting

General Committee meets to consider a staff report regarding the application that makes recommendations on the matter for Council consideration. Learn more:

Council Meeting

At a City Council meeting, Councillors make a decision on the application. There is an appeal period, in accordance with the Planning Act, following the Public Notice of the decision. Appeals are made to the City Clerk’s office. Learn more:

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.