Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation Links175-and-199-Essa-Road 175 & 199 Essa Road & 50 Wood Street

FILE # D12-451 / D14-1695 / D14-1697 / D09 OPA 80/ D09 OPA 81

175 & 199 Essa Road 
and 50 Wood Street

Mixed use residential and commercial development at 175 & 199 Essa Road and stormwater management with residential development at adjoining property, 50 Wood Street. 

Type of Application
175 & 199 Essa RoadOfficial Plan Amendment
Under Review
​Zoning By-law Amendment
​Under Review
​Plan of Subdivision
​Under Review
50 Wood StreetOfficial Plan Amendment
Under Review
​Zoning By-law Amendment
​Under Review


175 & 199 Essa Road

SGL Planning & Design Inc. has submitted applications on behalf of 2106580 Ontario Inc. for an Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment and Plan of Subdivision to faciliate a mixed use residential and commercial development.

50 Wood Street​

SGL Planning & Design Inc. has submitted applications on behalf of Osmington (Wood Street) Inc.​ for an Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment to change the principle of land use from Highway Industrial to Residential and Open Space at 50 Wood Street to faciliate residential development, stormwater management and daylighting of Hotchkiss Creek in coordination with 175 & 199 Essa Road​. 

Key Dates

Neighbourhood Meeting

August 13, 2019

Public Meeting 

August 10, 2020

Council MeetingTBD
Appeal Period EndedTBD

Documents Submitted with Applications

Additional information can be obtained from Celeste Kitsemetry at 705-739-4220 x4430 or

 Glossary: Planning Terms

Official Plan Amendment

An Official Plan Amendment is required to revise or change the land use of a property as recognized by the City’s Official Plan.  For example, change the land use from Commercial uses to Residential uses.


A Rezoning application is required to revise or change the lands use or density of a property as recognized by the City’s Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw (

Site Plan Control

When a residential medium or high density, industrial, institutional or commercial property is located within a Site Plan Control area, development of the site requires approval from the City of Barrie. Site Plan approval is delegated to the Planning & Building Services Department. Signage is posted on the subject lands to inform the public that an application has been filed. No Public Meeting is held, no approval is required by Council, and the decision cannot be appealed by the general public.

Subdivision Approval

Subdivision approval occurs when a parcel of land is subdivided into various lots and/or blocks, where each lot or block is developed individually. Subdivision approval is delegated to Planning Staff. No Council decision is made on the matter.

Neighbourhood Meeting

Informal meeting hosted by the City at a venue in close proximity to the application location. The applicant presents the proposed development and attendees have the opportunity to ask questions. City staff provide information on application processing and timing. No decisions are made at this meeting. Notice of a Neighbourhood Meeting is mailed to property owners within 240m from the subject lands boundary, e-mailed to ward residents (, & posted on Facebook & Twitter. Signage is posted on the subject lands.

Public Meeting

Formal meeting of General Committee where the applicant makes presentation re the proposed development. The public has the opportunity to speak and ask questions. No decisions are made at this meeting. Notice of the Public Meeting is mailed to property owners within 120m from the subject lands boundary & contained in the local newspaper. Signage is posted on the subject lands. Learn more:

General Committee Meeting

General Committee meets to consider a staff report regarding the application that makes recommendations on the matter for Council consideration. Learn more:

Council Meeting

At a City Council meeting, Councillors make a decision on the application. There is an appeal period, in accordance with the Planning Act, following the Public Notice of the decision. Appeals are made to the City Clerk’s office. Learn more:

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.