Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Residential Building Permits

Building permits give legal permission to construct, demolish or renovate on a property. Failure to obtain building permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed.

Building Services Continuity During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Please refer to Building Services Announcements for up-to-date information about impacted services.

​APLI provides enhanced online features that allow you to quickly and easily submit your application without leaving your home or office. Benefits include:

  • Step-by-step instructions to ensure all information is included and entered correctly (see APLI How-to Guide);
  • Starting, saving and resuming your application when its convenient;
  • Digital document submission (see APLI Submission Standards);
  • No paying for parking or visits to City Hall;
  • Complete inspection requests online and receive real-time results;
  • Status updates e-mailed directly to your inbox; and
  • Checking on all submitted applications from one easy location.

Application Process: Residential Permits

  1. Collect and complete all required documentation:
  2. Submit required documentation along with building permit fees online or to Service Barrie (City Hall, 70 Collier Street, 1st floor)

    Put your application on the Fast Track! The Fast Track option is available for small residential projects including decks, pools, plumbing, water & sanitary repairs​, and some accessory buildings​. If you meet all of the requirements as outlined in our Fast Track checklists, you can apply online using APLI or take your application to Service Barrie (1st floor City Hall, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm) and schedule an appointment with a building official to have your permit issued. We are accepting a total of 3​ Fast Track applications per day and same-day appointments are on a first-come, first served basis. 

  3. Applications are reviewed to ensure plans comply with building standards
Submission Requirements for New Homes
  • Two (2) complete sets of construction plans including truss drawing if applicable
  • Two (2) copies of heat loss calculation with duct layout
  • One (1) ventilation design summary
  • Two (2) site grading plans stamped by consulting engineer (see Lot Grading & Drainage Control Procedures)
  • Tarion Warranty is required when a house is built for the purposes of selling to another owner.  If the house is built for the sole use of the existing owner of the property (i.e. a custom home), a Tarion Warranty may not be required.  However, you will need to provide a Letter of Confirmation from Tarion.  Visit Tarion's website for more information.
    Complete Applications

    Who can Apply

    An agent of the property owner can apply for a building permit as long as a signed letter of permission to act on the owners behalf is provided. Ultimately it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure a permit is obtained when required and that construction complies with all building standards. Property owner agents can be:

    • homeowner
    • contractor
    • engineer
    • architect
    • developer
    • commercial tenant
    • industrial tenant


    Fees are assessed according to the type of building and its size. Please refer to Schedule K​ of the current Fees By-law. Additional fees for development charges may apply. Contact Finance at (705) 739-4232 to see if this applies to your project.

    Common Projects & Permit Needs

    Permits Required

    The following list includes common projects that require a building permit. This list is not exhaustive. If you have any questions please contact Service Barrie at (705) 726-4242 or

    • Construct/demolish a house or addition to an existing house (i.e. garage, another storey)
    • Construct/demolish a detached accessory structure greater than 10m2 (107.6ft2)(i.e. garage, shed)
    • Construct a deck greater than 10m2 (107.6ft2) in area or is attached to a building
    • Construct a porch or a balcony
    • Construct a basement walkout
    • Construct a heated or unheated sunroom
    • Erect tents greater than 60m2 (196.9ft2) or all tents erected within 3m (9.8ft) of a building
    • Construct roofing with structural work (i.e. adding dormers, skylights, solar panels)
    • Create new openings for, or increase the size of, doors and windows
    • Excavate a basement to increase existing headroom/underpinning foundation walls
    • Install, change, remove or repair load-bearing walls and other structural components
    • Install or modify HVAC systems
    • Install, replace or repair plumbing, drain, sewer systems
    • Construct a chimney serving a solid fuel fire appliance
    • Change a building’s use
    • Install, replace or repair a private sewage system
    • Replace a furnace that is changing fuel type, efficiency or capacity
    • Install a gas fireplace as a heating appliance
    • Repair structural and/or mechanical fire damage 
    • Install a pool, hot tub or spa
    • Construct a retaining wall greater than 1m2 (3.2ft2)
    • Complete an Occupant Load Permit liquor licence application

    Permits NOT Required

    The following list includes common projects that do not require a building permit. This list is not exhaustive. Even if a building permit is not required, compliance with the Zoning By-law is required:

    • Construct/demolish a detached building under 10m2 (107.6ft2) with no plumbing and with a maximum height of 3m (9.8ft) (i.e. garden or utility shed, gazebo, pergola)
    • Construct/demolish an uncovered deck less than 10m2 (107.6ft2)
    • Replace doors and/or windows that are the same size as the existing
    • Install siding on a house, garage or accessory building
    • Re-shingle a roof
    • Install eaves, provided the drainage is contained within the property
    • Damp-proof basements
    • Paint or decorate
    • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
    • Carry out minor repairs to masonry
    • Erect a fence (except when surrounding a pool, hot tub or pond)
    • Carry out landscaping work
    • Add air-conditioning to an existing HVAC system
    • Install a decorative gas fireplace
    • Repair non-structural and/or non-mechanical fire damage

    Permit Types

    Building Permits

    There are many different types of building permits that can be required before construction, demolition or renovation on a property can occur. Depending on the project, the following permits might be required:

    • 2nd Unit Registrations 
    • Certified Model Application 
    • Change of Use Permit 
    • Commercial New - Addition - Alteration 
    • Demolition Permit 
    • Designated Structure 
    • Dwelling New Duplex / Town / Semi 
    • Dwelling New Single Detached 
    • Dwelling Permit Addition/Alteration 
    • High Rise Residential New - Addition - Alteration 
    • Industrial New - Addition - Alteration 
    • Institutional /Gov'T New - Addition - Alteration 
    • Low Rise Residential New - Addition - Alteration 
    • Major Building Plumbing 
    • Model Home Permit 
    • Plumbing 
    • Pool Fence Permit 
    • Public Pool 
    • Residential Accessory Building 
    • Residential Deck 
    • Retaining Wall Permit 
    • Sewage System Permit 
    • Sign Permit 
    • Temporary Structure Permit
    • Tent Permit

    Other Permits

    Depending on the project, other permits may need to be acquired:

    Looks like your screen is a bit too small

    The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.