Streamlined Site Plan Approval Process
The Ontario Planning Act subjects certain land uses to Site Plan approval. Site Plan approval deals with such matters as: site layout, urban design, external building design, access, landscaping, servicing/stormwater management, natural heritage protection, site lighting, Zoning conformance and Building/Fire Code conformance.
The City of Barrie’s goal is to ensure that the urban environment is developed in a safe, efficient and aesthetically pleasing manner. Additionally, the site plan process ensures developments are environmentally sensitive, accessible, functional and achieve the preferred design objectives of the City.
The City of Barrie boasts of a quick, efficient and streamlined Site Plan approval process. This is due to the implementation of a number of initiatives:
- Pre-Consultation process reducing site plan review
period by up to 2 weeks;
- Staff level approval for all site plans;
- Dedicated Project Manager providing a "one window" approach to the review and approval of applications;
- Target 2 weeks for scheduling of Technical Review Committee meetings;
- Target maximum of 6 weeks for issuance of Site Plan Conditions with Pre-Consultation Application;
- Potential issuance of Conditional Building Permit prior to registration of a Site Plan Agreement;
- Processing of Site Plan approvals and Agreement concurrently with review and approval of full Building Permit;
- Conservation Authority staff available at City Hall;
- Convenient access to site plan information via the Site Plan Application Manual and Urban Design Manual available online.
- Exemption of some industrial areas from Site Plan approval
- Exemption of Development Charges in the City Centre
- Financial incentives through Community Improvement Areas
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a