Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Right Of Way Activity Permit

No person shall undertake any activity within a right of way or on public lands within the City of Barrie without a permit. Effective April 27, 2020, all ROWA applications are being processed online through APLI.​ 

Examples of activities requiring a permit:

  • Driveway widening/paving/curb cuts
  • Sewer and/or water connection or repairs
  • Culvert installation/removal
  • Heavy machinery crossing curbs, sidewalks or boulevard
  • Landscaping
  • Special events
  • In ground pool installations
  • Building Demolition
  • Rental of parking stalls/lots
  • Utility works

Right-of-Way Activity Permits must be available at the location of work during the permitted occupancy. If you are unsure whether your work requires a permit please contact call 705-739-4210.

How to Apply

  1. Application for a right of way activity permit is made by completing the application process through APLI .
  2. All permits are processed based on a queued priority system. An application will only be advanced ahead of other submissions from the same applicant.
  3. All applications are subject to processing timelines, permits are not issued at the time of application. Standard processing timelines are dependent on the scope, duration and impacts of the intended work.
    • Normal processing timelines are 5 business days from the date that a complete application is submitted.
    • Work that includes closure of a roadway or other public facility may require up to 15 additional business days for processing to allow for coordination with other departments.
  4. Staff processes the application and determines the appropriate permit fee and associated security fees and emails applicant.
  5. Due to current facility closures, the payment of the fee must be completed through the APLI system.
  6. ROWA Staff receive acknowledgement from Service Barrie that payment has been made or received and will email the Permit to the Applicant.
  7. Upon successful Inspection, if necessary, the Security Deposit is then processed back to the applicant.
  8. Right-of-Way Activity Permits are not transferable to another person, or persons.
  9. Plans, file numbers or other cross-references such as Municipal Consents and Site Alteration Permits should be provided at time of application if the proposed works are part of a development project or utility installation.
  10. Upon receipt of a request to work on a right-of-way or public lands, the applicant may be required to provide their business license as proof of eligibility to work in the City of Barrie. 

    Other information may be requested in order to process an application.

Required Documentation

All applications must include a copy of Comprehensive/Commercial General Liability insurance naming the City of Barrie as additional insured in the amount of 2 million dollars per the ROWA By-law. A Traffic Control Plan is applicable where traffic flow (vehicle or pedestrian) may be interrupted. Both the insurance and Traffic Control Plan must remain valid for the duration of the intended work.

Cost of Application

The applicant is required to pay a fee based on the type and the scope of the intended right of way activity. The applicant may be required to provide a performance deposit (security) with the City of Barrie if the intended activity is deemed to present a significant risk of causing adverse impacts to City property. This deposit will be determined by the City of Barrie as deemed suitable to restore any adverse impacts or actions needed to protect the public. Security deposits may be held for a period of one year following completion of work to ensure latent impacts to City property or public safety can be addressed.

Right of Way Activity

"Minor activity accessing the Right of Way”
Identified as Landscaping, Disposal Bin, and Tree Removal.

"Major activity accessing the Right of Way”
Identified as Utility Works, Pool installation, any excavation within the right of way.

“Site Servicing”
All sanitary connections for Residential & Commercial Buildings,  Infill Lots & Development projects, City issued contracts and RFQs.

“Utility Service Connection"
Previously known as "Service Drop” Permits.

“Driveway Widening – Curb Cut”
Driveway curb cuts and Demolition Permits.

“Special Events”

Pavement Degradation Fee
All work involving one or more road cuts, based on road type and age.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Right of Way?
The right of way is land owned by the City beyond the property line which includes the roadway, median, utility poles, sidewalks, and any area immediately adjacent to the street. Check your survey to see where your property line is.
What is a Right of Way Activity Permit and when is it required?
A Right of Way Activity (ROWA) Permit constitutes permission from the City for work to commence in the event any ground is broken and/or equipment/machinery are operated on or transported across City property, including, and not limited to the roadway, curb, boulevard, sidewalk, parkland, open space, public walkways and environmentally protect lands.
Do I need a right of way activity permit to work in my front yard?
Yes, you may need a permit. Many property owners don't realize that the City owns the land between the curb and your property line. Depending on many factors, your property could start up to 3 metres back from the sidewalk. Check your survey to see where your property line is.
Why is a security deposit required and how do I get it back?
A security deposit is a monetary amount collected by the Right-of-Way department from the Permit Applicant. In the event the Permit Applicant causes damage to the City owned Right-of-Way during construction and does not complete repairs that are deemed acceptable during the post-construction inspection, the City of Barrie draws funds from this amount to pay for the repairs. The remaining deposit amount shall be refunded to the Applicant. If the Permit Applicant does not cause any damage to the Right-of-Way, or the repairs are completed to current City standards satisfactory to the Right-of-Way inspector, the full deposit amount shall be refunded to the Applicant. All requests for release of security deposits MUST be initiated by email request to The email must include homeowner’s or contractor’s name and mailing address for return cheque.
Can I widen my driveway?
Driveway widening is based on the zoning of the property, width of the front yard and distance from City and Utility infrastructure including fire hydrants, streetlights, stop signs, boulevard trees, pedestals, hydro boxes and in some circumstances intersections. Please contact Service Barrie at 705-739-4242. For parking coverage in residential zones please refer to the Comprehensive Zoning By-Law 2009-141 Section Parking in Residential Zones.
Do I need a ROWA permit for access to my property, though the work is not on city property (i.e. Pool installs)?
Yes, you will need a right of way permit if any machinery will be on City property or will be moving around on City property a permit will be needed. It is recommended to inquire on a situational basis. If you are unsure, one of our staff will be glad to let you know if a permit is required.
I am doing some landscaping / installing a pool / building a fence / building a deck etc. Can I store materials on roadway in front of my property while I complete this work?
The storage of construction material is not permitted on the roadway. However, with permission, the storage of construction material is permitted on the boulevard for up to 48 hours.
I don't know how to make a traffic control plan; is this required?
This is required for any occupancy that will be on the right of way that will impede traffic (both pedestrian and vehicular). We have provided an informational traffic control template (see Downloads section on this page) that can be used to aid in the creation of a traffic control plan. More information on traffic control can be found from the MTO traffic library. (Search Ontario Traffic Manual (book 7).
Why do I have to pay to replace my sanitary sewer service?
Each property owner, as per Council Motion 72-P-303, is responsible for maintenance and repair of their sanitary sewer line from the sewer main out on the street into their building.
Can I have the tree removed from the boulevard in front of my house?
Boulevard trees may be removed upon approval from the Forestry Department. Please contact Service Barrie at 705-739-4242.

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.