Submitting a Complaint to the City
The City of Barrie is committed to continuous organizational improvement in an environment where all complaints are dealt with fairly in a respectful, transparent fashion, as quickly as possible.
What is a complaint?
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to a City of Barrie program, service, facility, or staff member, where a citizen believes that the City has not provided a service experience to the customer’s satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected.
A complaint is distinct from:
- Request for Service: A request made to the City on behalf of a citizen for a specific service, or to notify the City that a scheduled service was not provided on time. Examples include:
- Requesting that the City repair a street surface
- Reporting a burnt out street light
- Notifying the City of a missed garbage collection
- Alerting the City of no water service
- To submit a request for service, please contact us or use our mobile app PingStreet .
- Enquiry: A general or specific request for information regarding a City of Barrie product or service made by a citizen that is resolved at the point of service delivery.
- For answers to your questions regarding City programs or services, please visit our website or contact us.
- Feedback: An opinion, comment and expression of interest in a City of Barrie program or service by a citizen. To provide feedback, please contact us.
- Compliment: An expression of approval for a City of Barrie service, staff member, program, product or process. To provide a compliment, please contact us.
- Suggestion: An idea submitted to the City of Barrie by a customer with the aim of improving services, programs, products or processes. To make a suggestion, please use our forum.
In order to request a service, or to notify the City that a scheduled service was not provided on time (e.g. a scheduled garbage collection, a street not plowed) we encourage you to submit your request for service at contact us.
Submitting a Complaint
In order to submit a formal complaint to the City, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Details of what happened
- Where did this happen? Is it within the City’s area of responsibility?
- Who was involved?
- What was said or done?
- What kind of resolution is being sought?
- Contact details of the complainant
If you are submitting a complaint on behalf of someone else, the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act does not allow the City to collect information from you about a complaint that someone else has, unless we have the signed written consent of that other person. If you are representing someone (including a family member) as the agent or contact person you will need to have them complete the Complaint Representative Consent Form and submit it with the complaint.
What Happens with your written complaint?
Complaints are used to assist us in improving services, policies and procedures.
All written complaints are reviewed by Access Barrie Customer Service management staff. The information is treated as confidential to protect your privacy; however, you should be aware that in investigating a complaint, the circumstances may indirectly identify you. If you provide contact information, we will inform you of any actions resulting from your complaint. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, we will advise you of your options. Please note-complaints that involve personnel are confidential and details cannot be disclosed
Notice of Collection
The personal information you choose to provide on this form is collected pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), M.56 R.S.O. 1990. The information you provide will be used to investigate the complaint and may be used for contact purposes. Questions about this collection can be directed to the Manager of Customer Service Access Barrie.
||City of Barrie, P.O. Box 400, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario, L4M 4T5
Ready to submit a complaint?