Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksCOVID-19-Frequently-Asked-Questions Frequently Asked Questions re COVID-19

COVID-19 Pandemic

Frequently Asked Questions

We've compiled frequently asked questions received via social media and by Service Barrie representatives in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. This page is updated frequently.

Please refer to this month's Service Barrie FAQs for general questions that may not be related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Is the City of Barrie under a State of Emergency?

No, the State of Emergency ended on March 7, 2022.

Mayor Jeff Lehman declared a State of Emergency in the City of Barrie on March 23, 2020. The declaration was part of the City's ongoing efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 and ensured municipal government was able to continue to act and respond quickly to the pandemic, while continuing to offer essential city services.

The declaration provided the City with additional powers and resources to protect the health and safety of Barrie residents and streamlined the decision-making process through the City’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). The City’s declaration also aligned with the Government of Ontario’s Declaration of Emergency.

​Is City Hall open?

Yes, City Hall is open to the public.

Service Barrie is open for walk-in services* at City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Monday to Friday 8:30am–4:30pm. Customer service reps can also be reached via phone or email, 705-726-4242 or, Monday to Friday 8am–5pm. For convenience and to skip the line, residents are welcome to book an appointment for any service by calling.

* For business licences, marriage licences and commissioning of documents, please book an appointment for Tuesdays or Thursdays by calling 705-726-4242.

Is the City conducting COVID-19 monitoring in municipal wastewater?

The City of Barrie joined the province-wide wastewater surveillance initiative for COVID-19 monitoring in municipal wastewater. The City is providing samples from the Wastewater Treatment Facility to labs that will run analysis to determine the amount of COVID-19 present. Learn more.

Provincial Orders & Essential Businesses
What Provincial restrictions are currently in place?
​Garbage & Recycling
Is the landfill open?   

Yes.  For full information please visit

Are there any changes to curbside collection services?

Curbside collection is proceeding as normal, however there have been sorting and packaging changes due to COVID-19. In an effort to keep curbside collection drivers safe during this time, please: 

  • place facial tissues, paper towels and napkins in a securely tied garbage bag instead of the green bin.
  • place garbage in securely tied garbage/plastic bags, not loose in your garbage can.   ​​
  • place organics in securely tied compostable bags, not loose in the green bin.​
  • keep a distance of two metres from curbside collection drivers.

Reminder: Cleaning Wipes go in the Garbage! Cleaning wipes cannot go in the green bin and should not be flushed.

If not sure where an item goes, please check the item lookup tool

What is Barrie Transit doing to ensure the safety of riders?

The City has implemented increased safety measures to protect drivers and riders during this time. Please visit for full information, including FAQs.

Do I have to wear a face mask on buses and at terminals?

Yes. Masks or face coverings are required while riding Barrie Transit or inside the Transit Terminal until April 27, 2022. ​​

Where can I find vaccine information?

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit is leading the efforts to immunize residents in our region. Please visit the health unit's website for full information about local planning, clinics, appointments, and more.

Where can I access healthcare information in the Barrie area during the COVID-19 pandemic?

A website launched for residents to access information on common healthcare needs and local information about COVID-19, such as where to go in the Barrie area if you have symptoms, and how to get your COVID-19 test results. The site also provides general health information regarding how health care is modified during the pandemic. Visit

What should I do if I think I have COVID-19 symptoms?

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms please use the provincial  online assessment tool and follow those instructions.

How many people in Simcoe County currently have COVID-19?

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit updates the amount of cases daily. See the latest information.



Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.