CO Awareness Week
In 2014, the Province declared the first week in November as the Official Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.
Get a free CO alarm! Until Friday November 10, Barrie residents are encouraged to visit Station 1,155 Dunlop Street West, with proof that they've had their furnace serviced. In exchange, BFES will provide them with a free carbon monoxide alarm!
Establishing an annual awareness week was part of Bill 77 passed in 2014, which made CO alarms mandatory in all Ontario homes. Working with partners to increase fire and carbon monoxide safety is part of the government's plan to keep Ontario families safe.
This public education campaign, Beat the Silent Killer, is led by fire services across the province. BFES hosts events to spread the message and raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of installing detectors in residential dwellings.
- Over 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.
- The Ontario Building Code requires the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in homes and other residential buildings built after 2001.
- 60% of Canadians do not have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed in their house and 44% do not have their heating systems checked annually.
- More than 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.
- There is an increased risk of CO poisoning during the colder seasons when we spend more time indoors increasing our use of gas heaters, fireplaces, and other gadgets to beat the cold.
- Without proper maintenance, appliances such as furnaces, clothes dryers, water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, barbecues, and gas ranges can produce CO from the incomplete burning of fuels such as natural gas, wood, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, or charcoal.
- CO leaks are undetectable. It is a poisonous gas you cannot see, taste or smell and is often referred to as the “silent killer”. It causes flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness, and even loss of consciousness. In very severe cases, CO poisoning can result in brain damage and death
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a