Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksCO-Awareness-Week CO Awareness Week

CO Awareness Week
November 1–7, 2018

Beat the silent killer. In 2014, the Province declared the first week in November as the Official Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

2018 Week Features

Get a Free CO Alarm!
During Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2018, Barrie Fire and Emergency Service is giving away free CO alarms to everyone who provides proof of having their furnace and fireplace professionally cleaned this year. Residents can visit Fire Station 1, 155 Dunlop Street West, or tag BFES on Facebook or Twitter to show their proof and claim their alarm. 

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Night
Thursday, November 1, 5–8 p.m.
Lowe's, 71 Bryne Drive
Workshops start at 5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that you cannot see, smell or taste. Join Barrie firefighters for a free 30-minute workshop covering everything you need to know to stay safe from the silent killer. Sign up for workshops in person at Lowe's or by calling 705-797-5030. 

Background

Establishing an annual awareness week was part of Bill 77 passed in 2014, which made CO alarms mandatory in all Ontario homes.  Working with partners to increase fire and carbon monoxide safety is part of the government's plan to keep Ontario families safe.

This public education campaign, Beat the Silent Killer, is led by fire services across the province. BFES hosts events to spread the message and raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of installing detectors in residential dwellings.

Quick Facts

  • Over 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.
  • The Ontario Building Code requires the installation of carbon monoxide alarms in homes and other residential buildings built after 2001.
  • 60% of Canadians do not have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm installed in their house and 44% do not have their heating systems checked annually.
  • More than 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.
  • There is an increased risk of CO poisoning during the colder seasons when we spend more time indoors increasing our use of gas heaters, fireplaces, and other gadgets to beat the cold.
  • Without proper maintenance, appliances such as furnaces, clothes dryers, water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, barbecues, and gas ranges can produce CO from the incomplete burning of fuels such as natural gas, wood, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, or charcoal.
  • CO leaks are undetectable. It is a poisonous gas you cannot see, taste or smell and is often referred to as the “silent killer”.  It causes flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness, and even loss of consciousness. In very severe cases, CO poisoning can result in brain damage and death

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.