An open flame can easily ignite anything that can burn. Candles exude an aura of warmth and coziness, but are causing more and more house fires.
The best policy is simply not to have candles in the home. For festive decor, choose CSA-approved battery-powered candles. In preparation for an emergency, place flashlights in key locations (beside the bed, in the kitchen, etc).
- Always stay in the room where candles are being used.
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or when going to sleep.
- Ensure candles are not used in any bedrooms.
- Keep lit candles well away from anything that can burn.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children and pets.
- Use sturdy candleholders that won’t tip or burn. Holders with glass shades or chimneys are safest.
- Remember: WHEN YOU GO OUT, BLOW OUT!
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a