Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation Linksfireworks Fireworks Safety

Fireworks Safety

Without a fireworks permit, fireworks are only permitted to be used on designated holidays as per the Regulatory Matters by-law

Every year, thousands of Canadians, mostly children, are hurt by consumer fireworks such as sparklers and firecrackers. Fireworks also cause many fires so please adhere to the following reminders for your celebrations.

  1. Purchase fireworks from reliable sources and always read and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
  2. Prior to using your fireworks and sparklers, they should be kept out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cupboard or drawer. Ensure that children are unable to access these materials.
  3. While children make a perfect audience, they should never be permitted to light fireworks.  Adults are responsible for handling all fireworks materials while spectators watch from a safe distance.
  4. Fireworks are never meant to be handheld, carried in a pocket, thrown, or pointed at people.
  5. Prior to ignition, fireworks should be buried at least halfway down into a bucket of sand or earth.  If portable firing bases are not available, plant them directly in the ground making sure each piece is firmly supported before igniting. Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
  6. Always have water on hand (garden hose & bucket) to soak fireworks that continue to smoulder after firing.
  7. Light the fireworks at arm’s length, stand back and keep your face turned away.  If a firework fails to ignite, do not attempt to re-light it.  Let it sit in the base for several minutes and then douse it with water.
  8. Sparklers should also be doused with water, or allowed to cool in a safe place away from children playing. The ends of sparklers continue to stay hot for some time, and will easily burn a child’s skin, clothing, or nearby combustible material.  Do not use indoors.
  9. Eye protection should always be worn when lighting fireworks; don’t lean over when lighting.

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.