Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksBurn-Permits Burn Permits


Burn Permits

Thinking of having a backyard fire? The City offers two types of permits for outdoor burning. The by-laws, described below, provide rules and guidelines to ensure residents' safety. Permits are for recreational purposes only.

Barrie's current Fire Danger Rating is moderate. Barrie Fire And Emergency Service requests those that have an approved burn permit be more cautious than usual. Residents are asked to use extreme caution and keep a water hose or extinguisher close by. Continued dry weather may result in a burning ban.

There is currently NOT a fire ban in Barrie for residents with permits for OSFBAs. Should a ban come into effect, this page will be updated, a press release will be issued, and notice will be posted on Twitter.

Fire Danger Rating System Definitions

Low Hazard
Ignition of forest fuels will be difficult and spread potential is limited. 

Moderate Hazard
Grasses, dry branches will easily ignite. Spread to adjacent fuels would be slow. Control of fire may be difficult. 

High Hazard
Fires for cooking will be allowed. Most forest fuels will ignite easily and spread rapidly. Control would be difficult.

Extreme Hazard – Burn Ban In Effect
Restrictions will be in effect. No Open Burning Allowed. The forest fuels are dry and explosive. Sparks will ignite fuels easily and spread would be rapid; virtually impossible to control.

Outdoor Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances (OSFBA)

Outdoor burning must be done in an approved OSFBA and requires a permit. For property owners, permits are available online and at BFES Headquarters, 155 Dunlop Street West (Monday to Friday, 8:30am–4:30pm), at a cost of $22. Permits are issued per calendar year and expire on December 31 of each year.

Residents need to meet the requirements in the OSFBA By-law  and obtain a $22 permit. If we receive a complaint, fire crews will respond and ask that the fire be extinguished (even with a permit). On second complaint we will issue a provincial offense notice and a fine of $305.00.

Please note: tenants require the owner's permission to obtain a permit. Tenants must apply in person at 155 Dunlop Street West (open weekdays, 8:30am–4:30pm) with the owner's permission in writing (email/letter) to obtain a permit.

Apply for Burn Permit Online

Please Remember:

  • An approved OSFBA is designed to use solid fuel, is made of noncombustible materials, is enclosed on all sides, has a spark arresting device for all vents and chimneys.
  • Fire must be kept to a minimum: 4m from any dwelling or structure, 2m from any combustible materials, 5m from the forest or woodland, 3m from overhanging vegetation.
  • Burning is only allowed from 8am to midnight.
  • Burn dry, clean wood only. Burning of yard waste is NOT allowed.
  • Do not burn when wind speed is greater than 20 km/h, rain or fog is present or when a burn ban is in place.  


The outdoor fuel burning appliance by-law is enforced with zero tolerance, meaning all fires in outdoor solid fuel burning appliances will be ordered extinguished upon complaint. A second complaint for the same address within a 24-hour period may result in a fine of $305.00. 

Open Air Burning

Residents must meet the requirements in the Open Air burning By-law in order to obtain a permit. The intent of “open air” burning is for recreational purposes only. Open air burning permits are issued per day. The current permit fee is $30.70. Please remember:

  • The Fire must not be larger than 1 cubic meter in size.
  • The Fire must be kept at least 15 metres from any dwelling, structure or other combustible material.
  • The Fire is only permitted to burn during daylight hours.
  • Burn dry, clean wood only. Burning of yard waste is NOT allowed
  • Do not burn when wind speed in greater than 20 km/h, rain or fog is present or when a burn ban is in place.

Frequently Asked Questions

My permit was issued years ago and has no expiry date. Does this mean I am not required to obtain a permit?

No. Everyone must obtain a permit annually. ALL permits expire at the end of each calendar year.

How can my landlord provide permission?

Written permission must be sent to administration via fax, email, or in person. No phone calls will be accepted.

What form of payment is accepted?

Payment can be made by cash, debit, MasterCard or Visa.

Can I buy a permit for two or more years

No. Not at this time. We can only issue permits for that calendar year.

Can I purchase a permit for someone else?

The owner must be the purchaser. The owner can apply on line, or provide you with written permission in order for you to obtain a permit for that address.

How do I find out if the City of Barrie has a burning ban on?
Should a ban come into effect, this page will be updated, a press release will be issued, and notices will be posted on Twitter.

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.