Specialized Transit service is intended for persons with physical or functional disabilities affecting mobility unable to use Barrie Transit's accessible fixed route public transit system. Specialized Service is a door to door shared ride accessible public transit service available on a temporary, seasonal or permanent basis, depending on the registered user’s eligibility.
Specialized Transit enables you to stay active in your community! Registered clients may use it for appointments, school, shopping, visiting family and friends, social outings, anywhere you need to go within the City of Barrie.
Who is Eligible for Specialized Transit?
Specialized Service is intended for people who, due to physical or functional mobility limitations, are physically unable to walk a distance of 175 metres (approx. 600 feet). Persons with mental health issues, sensory conditions and/or cognitive disabilities may be eligible if they have a physical disability that prevents them from boarding a public transit vehicle. Elderly and/or person who is legally blind are not automatically eligible for Specialized Transit; only persons unable to use the fixed route public transit system may be eligible.
Approved clients must reside within the city of Barrie. Specialized Transit will provide service to any person visiting Barrie who meets the eligibility requirements and is an active registrant of another accessible system. Verification of eligibility and registration with another accessible system is required.
As you contemplate eligibility for Specialized Service, please consider you may be able to use Barrie Transit's accessible fixed-route transit system. Barrie Transit offers accessible buses on all routes. Some accessible features include pre-boarding electronic announcement, on-board next stop announcement call/display system, low-floors with ramp, hand rails and priority seating with space for two wheelchairs.
How do I Apply for Specialized Transit?
Download the Application Form. After completing all 4 pages return it to the below address, fax it to 705-730-0377, or email it to email@example.com. Once received, the application will be reviewed within 14 calendar days and notification of eligibility will be sent to you through regular mail. Please note that an incomplete application cannot be processed and will result in delays.
City Of Barrie, 70 Collier Street, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON, L4M 4T5
How to use Specialized Transit
Specialized Transit offers the same fare structure as Conventional Transit Services. For detailed information on our rates, please visit our Fares page.
Trip Booking, a Trip Confirmation or a Trip Cancellation:
Specialized Transit is a shared ride system and you can expect to be on our vehicles up to 60 minutes before you arrive to your destination, so please book accordingly.
Specialized Transit operates with a 30-minute scheduling window, that is from 15 minutes before the scheduled pick up time to 15 minutes after the scheduled pick up time. For example, if you have a booked trip for a 10am pickup, the Specialized Transit operator will be scheduled to arrive between 9:45am and 10:15am.
Reservations, Confirmation & Cancellation:
Please call the Office/Reservation line at 705-792-5033, press 1, up to one week (7days) in advance and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Date you need transportation
- Your Client Identification Number and Name
- Time of your pickup
- Address of pickup and accessible entrance (specific location required)
- Address of destination and accessible entrance (specific location required)
- Is anyone accompanying you?
- Whether you will be using a wheelchair or other mobility device
- Pickup time for your return trip
Self-Serve Automated Line to Confirm or Cancel a trip:
To keep lines open for reservations, you are encouraged to confirm your trip by calling the self-serve automated line 705-737-6949, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you wish to cancel your ride please call as soon as possible so that we may accommodate others.
When you call the self-serve line, it will ask you for your Client Identification Number. Once you have entered it, it will ask you to enter your password (same as your client identification number). The self-serve line will remind you that anytime you may press "0" for assistance. The self-serve line will then greet you by name and ask you to Press 1: to confirm a previously booked trip or; Press 2: to cancel a trip. The self-serve line will offer you several options in regards to confirmation or cancelling your trip.
We understand that sometimes plans change, however, please cancel your trip as soon as possible should you not be able to go out. Your cancellation and consideration will allow us to accommodate other passengers. A same day cancellation up to 30 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time is considered a late cancellation and is subject to a $3.00 fare the next time the service is used. A monthly pass or ride card cannot be used to pay the no show/late cancellation fare.
No Show Policy
The No Show policy applies to passengers who fail to appear at the pick-up location within 5 minutes of the arrival of the vehicle. When a No Show occurs, Specialized Transit will automatically cancel the remainder of trips for that day unless we hear from you. If a return trip is needed, we will do our best to re-schedule your trip, however, there may be a lengthy delay or you may be responsible for arranging alternate transportation. No shows are subject to a $3.00 fare. The no show fare must be paid the next time the service is used. A monthly pass or ride card cannot be used to pay the no show/late cancellation fare.
A maximum of three No Shows and/or late cancellations in one calendar month will result in a letter sent to the passenger as a reminder of our No Show/Late Cancellation policy and to pay any outstanding fare charges. A second letter will be sent after the fourth No Show and/or Late Cancellation within the same calendar month, which will result in a five-day suspension of service. Failure to pay no show and or late cancellations fares may also result in refusal or suspension of service.
Passengers who wish to use the service at the same time and location more than twice weekly on a regular basis (for work, education and/or appointments) can book their trips in advance through a subscription service. Transportation can be provided only if resources are available for the time requested.
Once your subscription service is set up, you must use the specific bookings at least 75% of the time; otherwise your booking may be suspended or cancelled. All subscription bookings are currently automatically cancelled on some statutory holidays. Please note that if you cancel a regular morning pickup, your afternoon ride is assumed to be cancelled as well, unless otherwise notified.
If a companion (voluntary spouse, partner, friend or family) will be accompanying you, tell the booking agent when you make your trip reservation as we must reserve them a seat as well. A companion is required to pay their own fare when traveling with you. Companions may travel permitted space is available and it does not result in other eligible passengers with disabilities being denied service.
An Attendant is a mandatory support person who assists with communication, mobility, personal care, medical and behavioural needs. If it is determined that you require an Attendant, the Attendant must accompany you on all trips. One Attendant is permitted to travel with you at no cost. You must provide your own Attendant for all trips. The separate Attendant card application form for Conventional service is not required and does not apply to Specialized Service.
Our Specialized vehicles are able to accommodate wheelchairs and scooters that are no larger than 42 inches (106 cm) in length and 30 inches (76 cm) in width. Our vehicles will not be able to accommodate anything larger. Our lifts can accommodate a maximum of 600 lbs. (272 kg) at a time, therefore, the combined weight of the passenger and assistive device must not exceed 600 lbs. (272 kg). Our ramps can accommodate 600 lbs. (272 kg) up to a maximum of 800 lbs. (363 kg) (on restricted/limited fleet only), therefore, the combined weight of the passenger and assistive device must not exceed 800 lbs. (363 kg). It is important to ensure that your wheelchair/scooter is clean and in good repair (i.e. tires, foot pedals, seatbelt, brakes). If your wheelchair or scooter is deemed unsafe your trip may be refused. When boarding and alighting, passengers using power wheelchairs must position their wheelchairs on the lift with largest wheels toward the bus. Passengers who use scooters are not able to ride on the lift, they must board and alight by the door and they must also be able to transfer to a seat. Passengers are responsible for the safe maneuvering of their mobility device.
- Operators will make his/her presence known; escort you to and from the bus and to the closest accessible exterior door.
- Operators will safely operate the ramp and/or lift but are not required to push pull or maneuver assistive devices.
- Operators will secure assistive devices and all belts but are not required to load and unload passengers.
- Operators are not required to go up or down flights of stairs, carry parcels, personal effects or lift heavy articles.
- Operators cannot wait more than 5 minutes past your scheduled pick-up time. The Operator must maintain his/her schedule and proceed to the next scheduled ride.
- Operators will not report to reception, specific stations or other medical locations to locate a passenger.
- Operators will not unlock doors, enter private homes or wait for someone to arrive to open the door.
- Please be ready at the door 15 minutes before our scheduled pick-up time. Be specific with pick-up and drop-off locations.
- Please have your pass displayed or exact fare ready for the Operator when boarding. Regular fares apply.
- If you are not able to make your trip time or you must cancel, please do so as early as possible. This will avoid no show/late cancellation fare charges and allow others to use the time.
- If it is determined that you must travel with an Attendant, you must provide your own Attendant for all trips. One Attendant is permitted to travel at no cost.
- If you are more than five minutes late, the bus will proceed to the next scheduled ride and the No Show Policy will take effect.
- Expect to share your ride with others and expect a longer ride (up to 60 minutes) than if travelling by taxi or car.
- Inform medical professionals that you are using the service, so that they may assist by keeping you on time. If you are running late please call and cancel or reschedule to avoid a late cancellation or not show fare.
- Please be considerate and courteous of the Operator and other passengers at all times.
- You may use the service for any trip purpose. At times, demand may exceed capacity, so we may not be able to accommodate you every time you request a ride. Remember to book early (up to 7 days in advance).
- Please have a clear accessible path to your door (ex. snow & ice in Winter months). Inaccessible paths will result in a refusal of trip.
- Ensure you keep all personal and health information up to date, including your phone number and address.
- Please keep parcels and personal belongings to a safe, manageable amount and maximum of 2.
- If you require more than door to door service, extra assistance or attention, please make the necessary arrangements to ensure your safety.
A passenger riding any Barrie Transit Specialized vehicle may not be allowed on a vehicle if his or her body odour or physical hygiene will disturb the reasonable comfort or public health of other passengers or Transit Staff. Odours may include but are not limited to scents related to unlaundered clothing, lack of bathing, uncontrolled bowels, animal related odours, and excessive perfumes. A passenger will be given notice and an opportunity to correct the odour or hygiene problem prior to suspension resulting in discontinued riding privileges for certain set periods of time. Passengers with mobility devices must maintain such devices in a state of cleanliness. Failure to comply may result in written notice and temporary suspension of service. No show fee may apply.