Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksProperty-Standards Property Standards

Property Standards

The City of Barrie has adopted Yard Maintenance and Property Standards by-laws to ensure that the maintenance and occupancy of property within the community is maintained to an acceptable standard.

If you're a landlord or tenant, please refer to Property Standards for Renters & Tenants.

Maintenance Standards

Examples of the maintenance standards include:

  • The maintenance of all plumbing, heating, ventilation, electrical, lighting, and all interior & exterior finishes in buildings.
  • The removal of rubbish; litter; debris; dead or decaying trees; wrecked, dismantled, unlicensed or inoperable vehicles; dilapidated buildings.
  • The cutting of tall grass and weeds that exceeds 6” in height.

The Property Standards Officer has the responsibility to administer and enforce property standards by-laws within the City. Property Standards Officers are appointed, by by-law, as both Property Standards Officers and Building Inspectors under the authority of the Building Code Act.

Complaint Process

In most cases, a written complaint must be received by Enforcement Services to initiate an investigation (this form can also be submitted by e-mail to Upon receipt, a Property Standards Officer will investigate. The investigation may include any or all of the following actions:

  • contacting the tenant and/or owner to confirm the complaint is valid or has been resolved,
  • attending the property to conduct an inspection to obtain evidence,
  • issuing verbal or written orders to the contraveners (with applicable service fees),
  • initiate additional legal action where necessary.

All complaints should be directed to the Property Standards Branch. A name and phone number of the complainant and owner are required so an thorough investigation can be conducted. The Property Standards Officer may contact the owner to confirm they are aware of tenant's concerns. Tenant/occupants are expected to provide access to the owner or property manager, subject to reasonable notification in accordance with applicable legislation, so they can carry out the necessary remedial work.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can the Property Standards Officer tell me to remove my vehicle from my own property?
My neighbour has a tree that overhangs my property. May I cut the branches that overhang my property?
Is my complaint kept confidential?

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.