Adding a Pool, Hot Tub or Spa
Thinking of putting a pool, hot tub and/or spa on your property? Before you start, here is a guide to help you through the project.
Planning Your Project
Before you begin, contact Service Barrie at 705-739-4242 or ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca to ensure your project:
- Complies with Zoning By-law section 5.3.5 set-backs and lot coverage
- Doesn’t require a permit from a local conservation authority
- Doesn’t infringe on your property’s zoned land use
Call Before You Dig! Always contact Ontario One Call before you dig, even if it’s just with a shovel, to locate any underground cables or lines below the surface.
Zoning By-law Standards
||Minimum Distance from Lot Line
|Front yard (inground pools only)
|Interior side yards
|Exterior side yards (corner lots)
|Rear yard (corner lots)
- A pool, hot tub or spa capable of holding water with a depth greater than 0.45m (18") is required to be enclosed by a fence or, in the case of a hot tub or spa, protected by a lockable cover
- The fence surrounding the pool or property is required to be non-climbable and at a minimum 1.2m (4ft) in height
- Above ground pools may be exempt from the fence enclosure requirement if the pool walls are non-climbable, a minimum of 1.2m (4ft) in height and any access points to the pool are either removed or safely enclosed whenever the pool area is left unattended
- Pools, hot tubs and spas cannot be located on easements. You may be able to have the easement released. For further information on easements please contact Legal Services 705-739-4220 x 4479
Completing Your Project
Permits: Apply for a building permit prior to starting any work. When the permit is issued, construction can commence. This project requires a Pool Fence Permit.
Save Time: Apply Online! Use APLI, our application tool for popular permits, to apply for your pool fence permit online 24/7.
Inspections: Below are the commonly required inspections based on permit type. There may be additional inspections required on a case-by-case basis. Contact 705-739-4231 anytime (24/7) to request an inspection.
||When to call
|Hot tubs & spas
||When hot tub/spa is installed with lockable lid or enclosed by a fence in accordance with the Pool Enclosure By-law.
||When pool is enclosed by a fence in accordance with the Pool Enclosure By-law. Above ground pool with sides 48” above grade that aren’t climbable and have a removable/lockable ladder may be used as the pool enclosure. See the Pool Enclosure By-law.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is meant for guiding purposes only. Individual home renovation projects vary in scope and may require additional steps to ensure proper completion. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure work conforms to any restrictive covenants, caveats or other restrictions that are registered on the land title. The information above has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Barrie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a