Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksBirths-Deaths-Marriages Births, Deaths, Marriages

Births, Deaths, Marriages

Applications and status checks for birth, marriage, and death certificates can be submitted online via

Birth Registration & Certificates

Welcome baby! ALL birth registrations for births that occurred after March 30th, 2009 at 12:00 midnight, are processed by the Office of the Registrar General. Documentation is provided to the parent(s) of the child at the time of the birth by the Royal Victoria Hospital or appropriate health professional.

Registering your child’s birth is the first step to giving your baby a legal identity. Once your baby’s birth is registered with the Province of Ontario, you will be able to apply for a birth certificate. The birth certificate is issued by the Province of Ontario and must be applied for separately. Parents may submit registration through ServiceOntario.

The City of Barrie does not accept or process birth certificate applications. If required, hard copies of the birth certificate application form are available at the Service Ontario Centre at 34 Simcoe Street, Suite 102, or at the City of Barrie Clerk’s Office at 70 Collier Street.

Death Certificates

Applications for death certificates can be submitted online at You can also check the status of birth, marriage and death certificate applications online.

Marriage Licences, Certificates, & Ceremonies

Every marriage in Ontario requires a Marriage Licence before the actual ceremony takes place.

Marriage Licence Applications, Requirements, & Fees

Visit for full information about marriage licences and to get the documents needed if you plan to marry in Ontario. For Simcoe County residents, marriage licences can be issued by appointment with Service Barrie. For fastest service, please call 705-726-4242 with any inquiries or to book an appointment.

Licences are issued at a cost of $145 (payable by cash, money order, certified cheque, VISA, MasterCard, or debit card). A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue. Requirements to apply:

  • A current passport (which includes a photo) or an original birth certificate PLUS one piece of photo I.D. (driver's licence, health card, etc.) for both applicants. Original copies of identification are required. 
  • Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent.
  • A completed application form with original signatures for both parties. Applications can be downloaded at​

There are no medical certificates, residency or citizenship requirements.

Marriage Certificates

Applications for marriage certificates can be submitted online at You can also check the status of birth, marriage and death certificate applications online. Applications for a marriage certificate (a copy of a marriage licence) may be obtained at Service Barrie, 1st floor, City Hall, 70 Collier Street. Get more information about marriage certificates.

Marriage Ceremonies

A religious marriage ceremony may be performed by a person who is registered under the Marriage Act to perform religious marriages in Ontario. A civil marriage may be performed by a judge, a justice of the peace or a Municipal Clerk and/or their designate. The City of Barrie's City Clerk does not perform marriage ceremonies. Check to access lists of religious officials who are registered to perform marriages.

The Rotunda at City Hall may be booked* for a marriage ceremony performed by a religious officiant, a judge or a justice of the peace. Contact Service Barrie at 705-726-4242 for booking information.

*Public room bookings are unavailable until further notice. 


If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, the original or court certified copy of the ​Certificate of Divorce must be submitted. A divorce judgment is not acceptable. Certified copies may be obtained from the court which granted the divorce. Photocopies are not acceptable, and all documents will be returned. If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, additional forms must be completed. Please call 705-726-4242 for additional information.


Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.