Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Water/Wastewater Billing

Customer Forms & FAQs

The City is responsible for water meter readings, billings, and collection services. All payments regarding should be made payable to the City of Barrie.

Water/wastewater billings are issued bi-monthly for residential accounts and monthly for non-residential accounts. The bill amounts are determined by the current rates and the consumption of water as registered by the customer's water meter, which is regularly read electronically by the City.

Customer Forms

In addition to the form options linked below, you can also visit Service Barrie online to easily create and manage your water/wastewater billing account.

New Account / Account Cancellation Form 

Mailing Address Change Form 

Owner Agreement Form - Tenant Occupancy
Landlords of two- or multi-unit properties should not submit this form, as the water/wastewater account shall remain in the owner’s name if the service is supplied to more than one unit through a single water meter.

Pre-Authorized Payment Form

Budget Billing Plan Form  

Online Billing Services


Sign up for e-billing by logging in or creating an online water billing account and get notified by e-mail when your bill is due. If creating a new online account, you'll need to add your water account(s) using information from your most recent water bill(s).

View Your Daily Water Consumption

Using your City water bill, login to the Water Meter Readings application with your Account Number and Meter Number. This service is available to all City of Barrie water customers. Once you have logged in, you can see your daily usage by week, month, or by custom date range as far back as thirteen (13) months.

View Your Water/Wastewater Billing Account

By creating an online water billing account, customers have access to the following:

  • payment history
  • billing consumption history
  • summary of services provided
  • account status
  • last payment received
  • bill(s) viewing
  • option to sign up for e-billing

Please note:

  • All that is required to set up a user profile is a valid email address.
  • Once you've logged in to the application you must add your water billing account(s) to view the information. You must provide information from your most recent water bill(s) in order to add account(s).

Frequently Asked Questions

If I have questions regarding my bill, who do I call?

All bills issued by the City of Barrie are to be paid to the City of Barrie, and any inquiries are to be made directly to the City of Barrie.

Service Barrie
70 Collier Street
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Phone: 705-726-4242
Fax: 705-739-4237

Mailing Address:
Box 400, Stn Main
Barrie ON L4M 4T5

How often will I receive a water/wastewater bill?
The City of Barrie bills residential customers on a bi-monthly basis, and businesses on a monthly basis.  When you receive your first bill from the City of Barrie, you will then consistently receive a water bill approximately every sixty days if you are a resident, or approximately every thirty days if you are a business.

How do I set up a water/wastewater billing account?
If you need to set up a new water account, or change your current account, please contact Service Barrie. A New Account Form may need to be submitted.

Phone: (705) 726-4242
Fax: (705) 739-4237

Mailing Address:
City of Barrie
Attn: Service Barrie
70 Collier St., Box 400, Barrie ON L4M 4T5
How can I pay my water/wastewater bill?
As a property owner, how can I arrange for my tenant to be responsible for water/wastewater payments?
Where can I find more information on water/wastewater billing services?
If you would like to speak to someone directly regarding the Water Billing Services, please call Service Barrie at (705) 726-4242.
Who do I call if there are problems with my water meter?

Any problems that occur with your water meter should be brought to the attention of Water Operations Branch to schedule an appointment to have the meter inspected and repaired if necessary:

Water Operations Branch
Phone: 705-792-7920
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am–4:30pm

How is my water meter read?

The City reads water meters remotely using a Smart Point reading device installed on homes and buildings (most often on the outside). The Smart Point relays the reading from the water meter and sends it via radio wave frequency directly to the Water Billing department. Barrie's homeowners and business owners are therefore not disturbed by requests to access the meter for manual reading.

Customers may request to have their Smart Point moved; please call the Water Operations Branch (705-792-7920) to book this free-of-charge service.

My bill is considerably higher, what is the cause of this?
High bills are usually the result of:
  • Malfunctioning toilets (consistently running/ not shutting off; water level is set too high).
  • Leaky faucets
  • Malfunctioning automatic trap fillers
  • A change within the household such as new tenants, more people or visitors
  • New appliances such as a water-cooled air conditioner, dishwasher, hot water tank, heating system or lawn sprinkler system
In almost every case, the cause of the high bill can be traced back to the homeowner's plumbing.

To check for leaks, locate the “trickle indicator’ – a small red or black triangle on your water meter.  Ensure water is not running in the house or building, and then check to see if the trickle indicator is turning, moving or shaking.  If it is, water is flowing through the meter indication a leak somewhere.  The homeowner is responsible for all plumbing repairs and maintenance.  The City is not responsible for internal plumbing leaks.

To check if your toilet seeps, lift the lid off of the water tank, drop in some food colouring or brewed tea or coffee and come back in 20 minutes.  (Don't flush the toilet while you are waiting).  If colour appears in the toilet bowl, the rod-and-ball assembly or flapper needs adjustment or replacement.  The homeowner is responsible for all plumbing repairs and maintenance and the City is not responsible for internal plumbing leaks. 

Leaks can end up causing extremely high bills. If you are aware of any type of water leak in your house you should repair it immediately because it could save you money.

All Water passing through the meter shall be charged for whether used or wasted.

Leaks cost you money:

  • 1/16" A continuous leak creating a stream of water this size would waste 93 m³ of water.
  • 1/8" A continuous leak creating a stream of water this size would waste 372 m³ of water.
  • 1/4" A continuous leak creating a stream of water this size would waste 1491 m³ of water.
  • If you are aware of any type of water leak in your house you should repair it immediately because it could save you money.
I'm moving, what do I do?

Please contact us in writing (email, fax, or mail) to request any account changes:

Service Barrie
Fax: 705-739-4237
Mailing Address: PO Box 400, Stn Main, Barrie ON L4M 4T5

When it's property you own
The sellers' or purchasers' lawyer can apply for a Water Arrears Certificate, which is a statement of outstanding estimated charges at the time of closing. The City will obtain a final reading on the closing date. A final bill is then sent to the seller at the service address unless the seller requests that the final bill be sent elsewhere. Alternatively, please complete an Account Cancellation Form that can be completed and submitted to the Water Billing Branch.

When it's a property you rent 
The tenant will be required to complete a New Account/Account Cancelation Form and the owner of the property will have to complete the Owner Tenant Agreement Form. Both forms, once completed can be submitted to the Water Billing Branch.  A final bill is then sent to the previous tenant at the service address unless the tenant requests that the final bill be sent elsewhere.


Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.