Essa Road Infrastructure Improvements
The limits of the Essa Road Improvements are from Anne Street to Gowan Street (approximately 600m) including Innisfil Street from Essa Road to Caroline Street. The contract was awarded to Arnott Construction Ltd. The overall budget is $8.85M including utility relocations, design and construction.
The Hotchkiss Creek Master Drainage Plan has identified that the stormwater drainage along Essa Road shall be conveyed out-letting to a previously installed storm system at the corner of Essa Road and Gowan Street. The pipe size ranges from 1.2m diameter to a 2.4m by 1.5m box. As a result of the large size storm system the sanitary sewer system must be lowered and new water services must be installed. The work to construct these elements impacts the full roadway, requiring complete reconstruction of the roadway including curbs and sidewalks.
December 7, 2017
Essa Road will reopen to traffic tomorrow evening (Dec. 8). There will be intermittent lane closures over the next week or two as the contractor completes minor work. In the spring, a top level of asphalt will be added and boulevard restorations which will also require lane closures.
|November 30, 2017
Roadway construction including curbs and sidewalks is complete. Boulevard restoration and permanent traffic signals within the second phase of construction (Essa Road, Burton Avenue to north of Anne Street) is continuing.
Timing for this work is heavily dependent on weather conditions; a snow event could mean a lost production day. The City is working with the contractor to establish a specific date for the road opening between Burton Avenue and Anne Street. Opening is expected within the next 2 weeks.
A final layer of asphalt will be added in the spring of 2018.
|November 17, 2017
- The construction work on Essa Road is progressing well. The contractor has completed all the underground work for both phases of project. The contractor has completed the first phase of work on Essa Road from Gowan Street to Burton Avenue and this is open to traffic.
- Road construction, including asphalt, curbs, sidewalks, and boulevard restoration within the second phase of construction on Essa Road between Gowan Street to north of Anne Street will continue over the next few weeks. Timing for this work is heavily dependent on weather conditions.
- The project is on schedule and is expected to be substantially complete by the end of 2017, with surface course asphalt paving in the spring of 2018.
|August 24, 2017
The Essa Road project is progressing well. The contractor is nearing completion of the first phase of work, which included much of the underground utilities from Gowan Street to Burton Avenue. They are ready to move to the next phase of construction which will require road closures:
- Essa Road, Anne Street to Gowan Street
The intersections at Essa Road and Anne Street as well as Essa Road and Gowan Street will be open to traffic.
- Innisfil Street, Essa Road to Caroline Street
The closures will start Monday, August 28 and be in place for approximately six weeks. Detour routes will be posted on the roadways surrounding the site to direct motorists appropriately. Access to local businesses will be maintained during the closure. Barrie Transit detour notice
The work on Essa Road is expected to be complete by December 2017, and various closures will be required as the project progresses into future phases.
|June 28, 2017
Work is to commence July 4, 2017. The road closure and detour for Essa Road from Gowan Street to Burton Avenue will be in place July 4 until September 2017. Then Essa Road from Burton Avenue to Anne Street (including Innisfil Street from Essa Road to Caroline Street) will be closed beginning August 24 for approximately 5 weeks for road reconstruction. See Barrie Transit notice.
The project includes:
- Utility relocations
- Sanitary sewer installation, including service replacement
- Replacing portions of the existing watermain and services on the south side of the Essa Road
- Concrete box culvert
- Storm sewers and appurtenances
- Boulevard restoration
- Roadway replacement including concrete curb and gutter
- Concrete sidewalks
- Traffic signal replacement at the Essa Road and Burton Avenue intersection and the Essa Road and Innisfil Street intersection
As a result of the deep excavations for servicing, dewatering for controlling the ground water, Essa road will be closed to through traffic. To minimize disruptions to local businesses and residents the project has been divided into two phases, phase one extends on Essa Road from Gowan Street to Burton Avenue and phase two extends on Essa Road from Burton Avenue to Anne Street, including Innisfil Street from Essa Road to Caroline Street Essa Road will remain open to local traffic requiring access to local businesses and residents. A detour route has been prepared and will be updated as the project transitions from phase one to phase two.
Looks like your screen is a bit too small
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a