Get involved and keep Barrie beautiful! This annual project occurs during Earth Week and is designed to clean up our community, while raising levels of environmental awareness and social responsibility through active participation in "Spring Into Clean" events.
Save the date! The 2023 Spring Into Clean event will be held April 21 to 23, 2023.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the 2022 Spring Into Clean event from April 22–24. Barrie elementary and secondary schools collected a total of 2,130 kgs of litter from their school property and surrounding park areas, and there were 32 schools who participated this year. The top six classes who collected the most litter received Tim Hortons gift cards:
- Codrington Public School –Ms. Eisses’ class
- Portage View Public School – Ms. Belanger’s class
- W.C. Little Elementary School – Mrs. Phipps’ class
- Allandale Heights Public School – Mrs. Gilchrist’s class
- Holly Meadows Elementary School – Mrs. McDiarmid’s class
- St. Bernadette Catholic School – Ms. Stille’s class
In total, approximately 12,370 residents participated in Spring into Clean 2022 and collected 4.80 tonnes of litter from parks, trails, roadways and public spaces throughout the city.
Sponsorship Opportunities Available
As an event sponsor, you can build brand recognition through our promotion campaign, including radio and print advertising, website, and printed materials. Engage participants through online recognition and brand activation. Sponsorship opportunities start at $500. If you are interested in becoming a Spring Into Clean sponsor, please contact us in early 2023 when program planning commences.
Put Litter in its Place
Outside of the annual Spring into Clean event, little actions go along way! Here are a few suggestions to help put litter in its place:
- Keep a litter bag in your car. Trash can easily be taken by the wind and blow out of window or when a car door is opened.
- As you visit public places in Barrie, make sure that the garbage and recycling you are disposing of is securely placed in the correct container and will not spread to other places.
- Bring your waste home with you for disposal in the City's curbside collection programs.
- Reuse it! Take along your resusable coffee cups, picnic supplies, straws, cutlery and shopping bags.
- Stack recycling boxes to prevent items from blowing around your neighbourhood. Newspapers, cans and other light-weight materials can be easily picked up by the wind and scattered.
- Butt Out! While we continue the battle on plastics, cigarette butts are the single most littered item in the world, surpassing plastics with 2 billion pounds of butts tossed aside annually. Use an ashtray so cigarette butts don't reach waterways or the lake.
Always put masks and gloves in a securely tied plastic bag before putting them in the garbage.
If you are interested in cleaning a Barrie Municipal park, please contact email@example.com for more information.