On June 21, 2023, City Council approved the implementation of a new transit network for Barrie. Key highlights of the new network include improved frequency, reduced trip times, better access to employment areas, coverage to new areas of the city and improved travel freedom for riders. Development of the new transit network, part of the Transit Vision project, included public consultation.
The new transit network will be implemented in two phases, starting in 2024. The second phase of implementation is expected to be complete in 2025. The new transit network will provide:
- Express Service: Directly connecting users between RVH/Georgian College, Bayfield Street, Essa Road, and Park Place via a bus route on Highway 400.
- Frequency: 70% of existing transit customers with access to a 15-minute frequent route in the New Transit Network for a portion of their trip.
- Trip Times: Cross city transit trips reduced by approximately 13%.
- Employment Access: Residents have access to approximately 24% more jobs within a 30- minute transit travel time.
- New Transit Coverage: Benson, Hanmer, Lakeside Terrace, Amelia, Morrow, Caplan, and King.
- Capital Budget Reduction: The peak vehicle requirements for the New Transit Network would see a change in the service vehicle types that would result in over $10M capital cost reductions for growth or replacement vehicles in the 10-year capital plan.
- Operating Budget Cost Neutral: These service changes have been built to be cost neutral in terms of operating hours due to the Transit ON Demand service model, which allows the service to maintain (and add) coverage in an efficient manner across low transit demand areas of the city.
- Improved Travel Freedom: The new transit network aims to connect as many people as possible to as many destinations as possible so that residents have as many social choices and employment opportunities as possible.
Read the June 2023 staff report including the recommended motions that will support the implementation of a New Transit Network developed through the Transit Vision project. A presentation on Barrie Transit's New Network Vision took place at an Infrastructure & Community Investment Committee meeting on May 31, 2023: