The Integrity Commissioner is responsible for administering the City’s Code of Conduct and assists in maintaining high ethical standards at the City of Barrie.
The Integrity Commissioner is an independent accountability officer given authority under the Ontario Municipal Act and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act. Suzanne Craig was appointed as the Integrity Commissioner for the City of Barrie on February 10, 2014.
Integrity Commissioner's Role
The Integrity Commissioner ensures all members Council, board, and committee members follow the City’s Council and Committee Member Code of Conduct (Code) (PDF), which includes obligations under the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act (MCIA), and handles matters when a section of the Code is violated. This includes:
- Conducting investigations in response to formal complaints received for an alleged breach of the Code or MCIA
- Providing information to members as to their obligations under the Code and MCIA;
- Providing advice to members of councils, boards, and committees regarding specific situations as they relate to the Code and the MCIA;
- Providing advice to members on other policies and procedures relating to the ethical behaviour of members;
- Providing information to the public regarding the Code/MCIA and the obligations of members under the Code/MCIA;
- Applying to a judge for a determination of a question of whether a member has contravened sections 5, 5.1 or 5.2 of the MCIA;
- Providing annual reports to Council on the activities of the Integrity Commissioner.
From time to time, with the adoption by City Council of updates to the existing Code, the Integrity Commissioner may provide education and outreach to members of City committees and boards regarding their obligations.
Members of the public, members of Committees or Local Boards, Barrie City Council and City employees can file a complaint if a Council, committee or local board member appears to have violated a section of the Code. Complainants may decide to use an informal or formal procedure to file a complaint:
Reports and Statements
The below reports and statements, produced by the Integrity Commissioner, outline related activity regarding Barrie Council, committees, and boards during the current term (2018–2022).