A demolition permit is required when a structure is being completely removed from a property. If any part of the structure will remain, an alteration permit is required.
Building Services regularly posts bulletins regarding industry-related developments that may impact customer experience.
Permit Submission Requirements
To ensure a complete application, the following items are required:
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish (APLI)
- Demolition Supplementary Information Form (PDF)
- Site Plan Drawing
- Property Owner Consent Letter (PDF) (if applicable)
- Payment of Permit Fees
- Barrie Fire Request for Demolition Approval (PDF) (submit to Barrie Fire)
As per Division C, Part 1, 126.96.36.199, a professional engineer is required if any of the following apply to your project:
- More than 3 storeys in building height
- More than 600m2 (6,458 ft2) in building area
- Contains pre-tensioned or post-tensioned members
- Will undermine an adjacent structure when being demolished
Additional requirements when a professional engineer is required:
- Commitment of General Review Report from an Engineer
- Detailed letter describing method of demolition
Other Considerations for a Demolition Permit
Depending on the project, the following may be required:
- Additional City permits and approvals:
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority
- Ontario One Call (locates)
How to Apply
Apply online through APLI:
- Select 'Building Permits' as your permit type
- Define your project by selecting 'Demolition' under 'Primary Application Purpose'
Refer to the current Fees By-law (PDF).
Visit Building Inspections for building permit inspection requirements.
Communicate with Neighbours
Residential infill projects are construction projects that take place within established neighbourhoods. They may include home demolitions, reconstruction or significant renovations/additions to existing homes. Please refer to Residential Infill Construction: The Good Neighbour Guide (PDF) for best practices for communicating with your neighbours effectively.