Planning Your Project
Before you begin, contact Service Barrie at 705-739-4242 or ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca to:
- Ensure your project complies with Zoning By-law section 5.3 for setbacks and lot coverage, and doesn't infringe on your property’s zoned land use.
- Confirm if your project requires a permit from a local conservation authority.
Call Before You Dig! Always contact Ontario One Call before you dig, even if it’s just with a shovel, to locate any underground cables or lines below the surface.
Projects that increase the assessed value of a property will increase taxes. Please visit the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation's website for related information.
Residential Building Permit Application Requirements
To ensure a complete application, collect and complete required documentation as outlined below. All residential permit applications require:
- Supporting documents proving compliance with applicable laws. See Applicable Law Checklist. Not required for pool enclosure permits.
- Schedule 1: Designer Information Form. Not required for pool enclosure permits.
- Property Owner Consent Form if you are applying on behalf of the property owner.
- Drawings, specifications, and documents establishing compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Building By-law and Zoning By-law. Drawings must be legible and to scale. Refer to APLI Electronic Document Submission Standards.
The following application checklists apply to residential new builds only. These checklists outline application, drawing, and submission requirements:
- Single Family Dwelling/Semi Detached/Townhouse Checklist
- ICI and Large Residential Checklist (for example, high-rise buildings)
How to Apply
Our online application tool, APLI, provides enhanced features that allow you to quickly and easily submit your application. Benefits include:
- The ability to start an application, save it, and resume at your convenience
- Real-time status updates and automatic email notifications regarding your application
- Online payments under $5,000
- Access to reviewed permit drawings and your building permit placard
- Requesting building inspections
- Access to all of your online permits
The information on this webpage is meant for guiding purposes only. Individual projects vary in scope and may require additional steps to ensure proper completion. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure work conforms to any restrictive covenants, caveats or other restrictions that are registered on the land title. The information above has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various by-laws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Barrie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Webpages are updated periodically.