Building permits give legal permission to begin construction, subject to other required municipal approvals, and ensure that the proposed construction will meet the minimum life and fire safety requirements contained within the Building Code.
Obtaining a permit is the law and allows Building staff to double check the important life safety features for your project.
Building Services regularly posts bulletins regarding industry-related developments that may impact customer experience.
How to Apply
Apply online through APLI. Our online application tool provides enhanced features that allow you to quickly and easily submit your application. Benefits include:
- The ability to start an application, save it, and resume at your convenience
- Real time status updates and automatic email notifications regarding your application
- Online payments under $5,000
- Access to reviewed permit drawings and your building permit placard
- Requesting inspections online
- Access to all of your online permits
Fees are assessed according to the type of building and its size. Please refer to the current Fees By-law (PDF). Additional fees for development charges may apply. Contact Finance at (705) 739-4232 to see if this applies to your project.
Visit Building Inspections for building permit inspection requirements.
Other Considerations for your Project
Depending on the project, the following approvals may be required (whether a building permit is required or not):
- Additional City permits and approvals:
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority
- Electrical Safety Authority
- Tarion New Home Warranty
- Home Construction Regulatory Authority
- Ontario One (locates)
Communicate with Neighbours
Residential infill projects are construction projects that take place within established neighbourhoods. They may include home demolitions, reconstruction or significant renovations/additions to existing homes. Please refer to Residential Infill Construction: The Good Neighbour Guide (PDF) for best practices for communicating with your neighbours effectively.