Zoning & Land Use

Official Plan

The Official Plan is a general policy document that establishes a long range planning blueprint for land uses and resource management within the municipality. ​Land uses are identified by designations, under which specific policy direction is given to deal with such matters as type of use, density, massing, community design, and development criteria. 

Zoning By-law

The City is in the process of creating a new comprehensive Zoning By-Law, which will be designed to implement the vision and policies of Barrie’s recently adopted Official Plan.

Barrie's Zoning By-law is the primary tool that the City uses to implement the vision set out in its Official Plan. The Zoning By-law establishes specific land-use designations prescribing how properties may be used and sets out standards for the physical form and organization of buildings on those properties. 

    Re-zoning of land and/or significant site-specific changes to land uses or zone regulations require a Zoning By-law Amendment (ZBA), and possibly an Official Plan Amendment (OPA). See Development Review Process for information about the application process.

    Consents & Minor Variances

    A Consent application is required to subdivide land without the requirement of a plan of subdivision. A Minor Variance application is for permission or relief from the requirements of the Zoning By-law where circumstances make it difficult to comply with the specific zoning standards. The Committee of Adjustment makes decisions on applications for consents and minor variances to the Zoning By-law. 

    Land Use Designations

    The land use designations set out in the Official Plan are guided by its land use policies, which set out the development criteria for each land use designation and are intended to work in conjunction with its applicable urban design policies. Barrie's land use designations:

    • Neighbourhood Area
    • Medium Density
    • High Density
    • Community Hub
    • Commercial District
    • Natural Heritage System (NHS)
    • Greenspace
    • Strategic Employment and Economic District (SEED)
    • Employment Area – Non-Industrial
    • Employment Area – Industrial
    • Employment Area – Restricted Industrial
    • Infrastructure and Utilities 

    Building Types Requiring Licensing or Registration

    Building types that require licensing or registration include additional residential units—second suites and detached accessory dwelling units (DADUs)—and boarding, lodging, and rooming (BLR) houses: