Smoking materials are the #1 cause of fire deaths. Follow these simple smoking safety tips to prevent a smoking-related fire in your home.
- Never smoke in bed, when drinking or taking medication that can cause drowsiness.
- Always use large, deep ashtrays on a sturdy table.
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
- Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach. When possible, smoke outdoors.
- Be alert! To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be. You won't be alert if you're sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
- Install a photoelectric smoke alarm above your favourite place to smoke. If you have a fire you will get the early warning you need to escape.
- The best way to prevent smoking fires is to quit.
Frequently Asked Questions
The first step in protection from the dangers of a fire in your home is to ensure you have working smoke alarms throughout the house.