Right Of Way Activity (ROWA) Permit


No person shall undertake any activity within a right of way or on public lands within the City of Barrie without a permit.  A Right of Way Activity (ROWA) Permit gives permission from the City for construction work to commence across City property, including, but not limited to, roadways, curbs, boulevards, sidewalks, parklands, open space, public walkways and environmentally protected lands. The permit also allows for the operation and transportation of equipment and machinery on City property. 

Anytime machinery will be moving on or across City property, a ROWA permit is needed. Examples of activities requiring a permit:

  • Driveway widening/paving/curb cuts
  • Sewer and/or water connection or repairs
  • Culvert installation/removal
  • Heavy machinery crossing curbs, sidewalks or boulevard
  • Landscaping
  • Special events
  • In ground pool installations
  • Building Demolition
  • Rental of parking stalls/lots
  • Utility works

Right-of-Way Activity Permits must be available at the location of work during the permitted occupancy. If you are unsure whether your work requires a permit please contact call 705-739-4210.

Application Details

Frequently Asked Questions