Online Booking Now Available!
The City has launched a new online booking service for Specialized Transit, through which existing clients can book and manage their trips online, as well as view their upcoming trips in real time. See Booking, Confirming or Cancelling Trips for updated information.
Specialized Transit is a door-to-door shared ride accessible public transit service intended for persons unable to use Barrie Transit's conventional accessible fixed-route system due to a disability. Specialized Transit enables clients to stay active in their community.
Specialized Transit is available on an unconditional (permanent), temporary or conditional basis, depending on eligibility. Registered clients may use the service for medical appointments, school, shopping, visiting family or friends and social outings within the City of Barrie limits.
Apply or manage your account
Contact Information & Hours
Phone: 705-792-5033 press 1
Mon – Fri 7:30am – 5:30pm
Sat – Sun 9am – 5pm
Phone: 705-792-5033 press 1
Mon – Fri 5am – 12:30am
Sat – 6:45am – 12:30am
Sun – 8:30am – 10:30pm
Phone: (705) 737-6949
There are three different types of eligibility for Specialized Transit service: Unconditional, Temporary and Conditional. For more information about eligibility, visit the Specialized Transit Application page.
Specialized Transit is a shared ride system and you can expect to be on our vehicles up to 60 minutes (one hour) before you arrive to your destination, so please book accordingly.
Specialized Transit operates with a 30-minute scheduling window, that is from 15 minutes before the scheduled pick up time to 15 minutes after the scheduled pick up time. For example, if you have a booked trip for a 10am pickup, the Specialized Transit operator will be scheduled to arrive between 9:45am and 10:15am.
New! Online Booking
The Specialized Transit Online Booking Service launched on November 23, 2022. The service is available for desktop, tablet, and mobile phones. Select "Register now," and follow the prompts! See Specialized Transit Client Online Booking Instructions for more detailed instructions.
To access Specialized Transit Client Online Booking you must be a registered, active client. Visit Specialized Transit Application for full information on how to apply.
Office/Reservation Phone Line
Please call the Office/Reservation line at 705-792-5033 (press 1) up to one week (7days) in advance and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Date you need transportation
- Your Client Identification Number and Name
- Time of your pickup
- Address of pickup and accessible entrance (specific location required)
- Address of destination and accessible entrance (specific location required)
- Is anyone accompanying you?
- Whether you will be using a wheelchair or other mobility device
- Pickup time for your return trip
Visit the Specialized Transit Online Booking Service and go to "My Trips." Find the trip and click the Cancel button. You cannot cancel online if it is less than two hours before your scheduled pickup time. Please call 705-792-5033 and press 1 to cancel on short notice.
If you wish to permanently cancel a subscription trip booking, please call the reservation line 705-792-5033 press 1.
Self-Serve Automated Phone Line
You can also call the self-serve automated line 705-737-6949, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you wish to cancel your ride please call as soon as possible so that we may accommodate others.
When you call the self-serve line, it will ask you for your Client Identification Number. Once you have entered it, it will ask you to enter your password (same as your client identification number). The self-serve line will remind you that anytime you may press "0" for assistance. The self-serve line will then greet you by name and ask you to Press 1: to confirm a previously booked trip or; Press 2: to cancel a trip. The self-serve line will offer you several options in regards to confirmation or cancelling your trip.
Log in or register on portal.myridebarrie.ca and click on "My Trips."
All booked trips, including any booked through the phone reservation line, will appear in your online account.
Click on "View All Future Trips" to see all your upcoming trips. Days that you have a trip booked will be highlighted in blue on the calendar. Click on the blue square to see the trips booked for individual days.
See Specialized Transit Client Online Booking Instructions for more information about the online booking system.
We understand that sometimes plans change, however, please cancel your trip as soon as possible should you not be able to go out. Your cancellation and consideration will allow us to accommodate other passengers. A same day cancellation up to 30 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time is considered a late cancellation and is subject to a $3.00 fare the next time the service is used. A monthly pass or ride card cannot be used to pay the no show/late cancellation fare. The No Show fare and policies apply.
The No Show policy applies to passengers who fail to appear at the pick-up location within 5 minutes of the arrival of the vehicle. When a No Show occurs, Specialized Transit will automatically cancel the remainder of trips for that day unless we hear from you. If a return trip is needed, we will do our best to re-schedule your trip, however, there may be a lengthy delay or you may be responsible for arranging alternate transportation. No shows are subject to a $3.00 fare. The no show fare must be paid the next time the service is used. A monthly pass or ride card cannot be used to pay the no show/late cancellation fare.
A maximum of four No Shows and/or late cancellations in one calendar month or refusal to pay no show/late cancellation fare will result in a five-day suspension of service. Continued violations of the NO Show Policy may result in progressive suspensions of service of up to 90 days.
Passengers who wish to use the service at the same time and location more than twice weekly on a regular basis (for work, education and/or appointments) may be able to book their trips in advance through a subscription service. Transportation can be provided only if resources are available for the time requested.
Subscription trip bookings cannot be booked using the Specialist Transit Online Booking System. Please call the Office/Reservation line at 705-792-5033 and press 1.
Once your subscription service is set up, you must use the specific bookings at least 75% of the time; otherwise your booking may be suspended or cancelled. Clients who have schedules that change frequently are not eligible for subscription service. All subscription bookings are currently automatically cancelled on some statutory holidays. Please note that if you cancel a regular morning pickup, your afternoon ride is assumed to be cancelled as well, unless otherwise notified.
Companions & Assistance
If a companion (voluntary spouse, partner, friend or family) will be accompanying you, tell the booking agent when you make your trip reservation as we must reserve them a seat as well. A companion is required to pay their own fare when traveling with you. Companions may travel permitted space is available and it does not result in other eligible passengers with disabilities being denied service.
If you require more than door to door accompaniment or extra assistance or attention, please make the necessary arrangements to have an Attendant to ensure your safety. For example, clients who need assistance to board, pay their fare, push their wheelchair must be accompanied by an Attendant. An Attendant is a mandatory support person who assists with communication, mobility, personal care, medical and behavioural needs. If it is determined in your application that you require an Attendant, an Attendant must accompany you on all trips. You must provide your own Attendant. An Attendant must be 12 years of age or older and capable to meeting all your needs. A registered client cannot act as an Attendant for another registered client. One Attendant is permitted to travel at no cost.
Our Specialized Transit vehicles can accommodate wheelchairs and scooters that are no larger than 42 inches in length and 30 inches in width, and the combined weight of the passenger and their assistive device must not exceed 800 lbs.
Clients who use scooters must be able to transfer to a seat. Parcels should not hang on the handles of an assistive device unless secured in a proper wheelchair or scooter bag. It is important to ensure that your assistive device (including walkers, rollators etc) is clean and in good repair (i.e. tires, seatbelt, foot rests, and brakes). If your assistive device is deemed unsafe your trip may be refused. You are responsible for the safe and effective maneuvering of your own assistive device.
- Be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of specialized transit vehicles.
- Make their presence known at the pick-up locations.
- Provide light assistance such as walking with you to and from the bus and to the closest accessible exterior door, opening doors.
- Verbally guide you with the positioning of your mobility aid on the vehicle lift/ramp and operate the lift/ramp.
- Safely secure your mobility aids and all belts and/or seatbelts.
- Ensure they arrive at the proper accessible entrance at your pick-up location.
- Maintain their schedule when time, traffic and weather conditions permit
Operators do not:
- Assist clients to get on or off transit vehicles and/or maneuver, push or pull wheelchairs and/or scooters and do not park on private driveways.
- Make repairs or adjustments to mobility aids.
- Help go up or down flights of stairs, carry parcels, baggage, personal effects or heavy articles.
- Lift wheelchair or scooters up or down stairs.
- Report to reception, specific stations or other medical locations to find you.
- Open/Close/Lock/Unlock doors, enter private homes or wait for someone to arrive to open the door.
- Wait more than 5 minutes past your scheduled pick up time.
- Assist you with fare payment by looking into bags, backpacks, coats or other.
- Please be ready at the nearest accessible door 15 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time. You are expected to board the vehicle once it has arrived. Remain seated while the vehicle is in motion.
- Please have your pass displayed or exact fare ready for the Operator when boarding.
- If you are not able to make your trip time or you must cancel, please do so as soon as possible. This will avoid no show/ late cancellation fare charges and allow others to use the time.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late, the bus will have to proceed to the next scheduled ride and the No Show policy will take effect.
- Expect to share your ride with others, and expect a longer ride, up to 60 minutes.
- Inform medical professionals that you are using the service, so that they may assist by keeping you on time. If you are running late please call and cancel or reschedule to avoid a late cancellation or no show fare.
- Please be considerate and courteous of the Operator and other passengers at all times.
- For the health and comfort of staff and riders kindly avoid excessive odors or scents. Odors may include but are not limited to scents related to unlaundered clothing, lack of bathing, uncontrolled bowels, and excessive perfumes. Failure to comply may result in suspension of service.
- Please have a clear accessible path to your door before pick-up and drop-off times, even in the winter months. Safe access to your property is your responsibility. Inaccessible paths may result in refusal of service.
- Ensure you keep all personal and health information up to date, including your phone number and address.
- Please keep parcels and personal belongings to a safe, manageable amount and maximum of (2) two.
- Profanity or abusive language/conduct will not be tolerated on Specialized Transit vehicles, when communicating with Booking Agents or Transit Staff. Failure to comply may result in a suspension of service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please call the reservation line 705-792-5033 press 1 for assistance.
Yes, you can you add up to three companions, friends etc. if booking online.
Select escort if your companion is not a registered client, please ensure to select ambulatory for companions who walk, use a walker, cane etc. or scooter, wheelchair or other as required.
No. Subscription trip bookings cannot be booked online.
Clients may not edit their trip bookings online. To edit an existing trip clients may call the reservation line 705-792-5033 press 1.
Clients may cancel their trip and rebook their trip if the scheduled trip is not on the same day.
Yes, using the Specialized Transit Online Booking Service homepage on the day of your trip, you may view your vehicle’s location on the map and see estimated times of arrival 20 minutes before your estimated pick-up times.
Please remember that we operate with a 30-minute scheduling window, your bus may arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time or 15 minutes after the scheduled pickup time. You should still be ready 15 minutes before your scheduled pickup time.
The refresh rate when booking online or viewing your upcoming trips is set at 60 (sixty) seconds, please ensure you are ready for your pickup, 15 minutes before the scheduled pickup time.