Provide your feedback on Barrie’s Transit Vision
The City has launched the next phase of Barrie’s Transit Vision with a second round of public consultation which will present and seek feedback on the proposed transit network (Draft Transit Vision), as well as transit preferences.
Transit staff work to inform riders of service impacts, and keep the public informed about initiatives and projects that support Transit ridership.
Do you have feedback on Barrie Transit? All feedback, including concerns and compliments, relating can be reported to the appropriate staff via Service Barrie Online.
Transit ON Demand (ToD) is a Barrie Transit service without a fixed schedule or route. Users can book their trip through an application and then the bus travel is optimized through a computer-based system. ToD operates within a specific zone allowing riders to travel from bus stop to bus stop within the zone on demand.
The City launched the Transit ON Demand pilot on August 17, 2020, servicing an area from Huronia Road and Lockhart Road to Bayview Drive and Little Avenue. The pilot was a success with riders receiving faster trips, shorter wait times and reporting high satisfaction. The cost of providing Transit ON Demand is equal to the cost of conventional service, but can cover more area, resulting in a more efficient service for Barrie.
The Transit on Demand zone slightly expanded effective August 3, 2022, with the addition of four new stops (741, 752, 982, and 987). The added stops add service to Churchhill Drive and Huronia Medical Clinic.
Hours of Service
Vehicles operate Monday to Saturday, 6:35am to 5:30pm. Rides cannot be booked that would depart or arrive outside of these service hours.
Fares & Payment Options
Fares for ToD are the same as regular Barrie Transit fares. Monthly pass, cash, and transfer are payment options available for users to select within the app.
How to Book a Trip
- Download the free app from the Apple or Google Play store by searching for 'Barrie ToD'.
- Enter your starting point and destination within the zone (these areas are highlighted in the app). The Stop Map (PDF) will assist in locating your nearest stop number.
- Select the date and time you want to ride (up to 7 days in advance) or request a trip as soon as possible.
- Provide rider information (number of riders, adult/youth, wheelchair, etc.).
- Select your payment option: monthly pass, cash, or transfer.
- The app lets you know when to expect your ride and where to wait.
- Watch your bus arrive in real time via the app.
Other Booking Options
- Book online
- Call a booking agent at 705-792-5033 (press 1).
Transit ON Demand is best used in low transit demand times and areas when fixed routes are most inefficient and expensive. The benefits of ToD in these instances include:
- Less wait time.
- Faster & more direct trips.
- More efficient.