The Heritage Barrie Committee shall:
- Educate Council and build public awareness around cultural heritage preservation in the City – the what, when, why and how – by providing information about preservation and conservation of heritage as well as information on listing properties on the Municipal Heritage Register;
- Advance heritage initiatives through a land use policy connection at both a neighbourhood and city-wide level (e.g. Community Improvement Plans);
- Establish criteria for evaluating the architectural or historical value of a property, and to prepare and maintain a list of all properties worthy of pursuing conservation under the OHA;
- Keep up to date on all heritage conservation legislation and programs, and advise Council of any programs worthy of consideration by the City;
- Advise and assist Council on all matters relating to Part IV and V of the OHA and provide recommendations for designating heritage properties as per the OHA; and,
- Undertakes the appropriate action items from the Cultural Heritage Strategy and the Historic Neighbourhood Strategy.
- Councillor, C. Riepma, Chair
- Councillor, A.M. Kungl; and
- 5 to 9 citizen representatives
The committee meets monthly in person. Agendas are available on the City’s Legislative Portal. Please contact the Clerks Office at CityClerks@barrie.ca with any questions regarding agendas. Effective February 2023, advisory committee meetings are no longer streamed via the City's YouTube channel.