The Attendant card is a photo card that identifies the cardholder as a person (the applicant) who, due to their disability, needs to be accompanied by a support person and is unable to use Barrie Transit’s conventional public transit service independently.
An Attendant is a support person who assists with communication, mobility, personal care, medical and behavioural needs. Barrie Transit does not provide the Attendant, the applicant is responsible for providing his/her own Attendant. An Attendant may be a paid professional, a volunteer, a family member or a friend. An Attendant must be 12 years of age or older. The Attendant card permits one (1) Attendant to travel with the cardholder at no charge.
Some examples of how an Attendant may assist include:
- Adjusting feeding tubes or other medical equipment while travelling
- Controlling the behaviour of a person who exhibits aggressive or other unacceptable behaviour towards themselves, other passengers or the driver, while on the vehicle
- Securing a mobility device
Some examples of who the Attendant card program does not apply to:
- A person who needs a family member to accompany or assist them at their destination
- A person who does not want to travel alone or does not feel comfortable travelling alone
- A person who has a language barrier
How to Apply
Please completed the Attendant Card Application Form and submit a completed copy:
- By Mail: The Corporation of the City Transit Department, P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON L4M 4T5
- By Fax: 705- 730-0377
- By Email: ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca
- In Person: Barie Transit Terminal, 24 Maple Avenue (Transit Ticket Window)