Consent & Minor Variance Applications

Planning & Building

The City's Committee of Adjustment makes decisions on applications for consents and minor variances. 

A Consent application is required to subdivide land without the requirement of a plan of subdivision. Consent applications can take the form of the creation of new lots, lot boundary adjustments, the creation of easements, and leases exceeding a period of 21 years.

A Minor Variance application is for permission or relief from the requirements of the City's Zoning By-law where circumstances make it difficult to comply with the specific zoning standards.

    Pre-Application Consultation

    It is recommended that prior to the submission of an application for Consent or Minor Variance, an applicant should consult with planning staff to determine all application requirements. This consultation will ensure that each application is processed in an effective and efficient manner. Please e-mail to arrange for a consultation.

    How to Apply

    Apply online through APLI or download and complete the relevant PDF application form:

    Hard copy applications can be submitted:

    • by email to
    • by mail to the City of Barrie Planning Department
      P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON, L4M 4T5 
    • by drop boxes at City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie

      The applications must include all required documentation and the prescribed fees. Required documentation includes:

      1. A survey
      2. A site plan
      3. The owner's consent if applicable
      4. Supporting documentation if applicable (i.e. technical reports and studies, elevation drawings, floor plans, civil engineering and landscape plans, etc.)

      Process for Completed Applications

      Once an application has been deemed complete, the applicant will be required to post a public notice sign on the subject property. The public notice sign will provide details of the application including the project description, Committee meeting information and who members of the public can contact for additional information. In addition, a public notice will be sent to all property owners within 60 metres of the subject property.

      A Committee of Adjustment meeting is scheduled each month. At the Committee meeting, members of the public have an opportunity to provide comments and the Committee will make a decision on the application.

      Learn about Committee of Adjustment Meetings