Recreation Program Fees Assistance Program
The City provides a wide range of recreation and physical activity programs. While subsidized by tax revenues from the citizens of Barrie, these programs often include a registration fee to offset program costs. RecACCESS is intended to ensure all residents have an opportunity to participate in recreation programs and activities, regardless of their financial situation.
What is RecACCESS?
RecACCESS is a fee assistance program that provides support to low-income families and individuals in Barrie, by providing qualifying participants with a City of Barrie membership and youth credits which can be applied to the registration fee for qualifying programs and activities.
Interested participants must complete an application form and provide documents (as indicated on the form) related to financial and family situation. Approved participants, including immediate family members, will have a membership set up and youth will have a credit added to a special RecACCESS account within the City's Recreation Registration System. Youth participants then register for the programs and activities following normal registration procedures, with the credit on their account used to pay associated registration fees in whole or in part.
|$150 for Registered Programs
|$75 for Registered Programs
Who Can Apply?
All applicants must be permanent full-time residents of Barrie. This criteria applies to individual applicants and all family members who will receive a RecACCESS grant benefit. In addition, total net household income must fall under one of the following limits:
|Maximum Qualifying Household Net Income Limits
|Amounts based on 2014 LICOs. Subject to change.
Individual applicants (family size: 1 person) must be over the age of 18 and have no dependants, and must not be married or living in a legally recognized common-law relationship. The individual RecACCESS benefit may only be used by the applicant and is not transferrable.
Applications for 2 persons or more must be completed when the primary applicant is married or in a common-law relationship, or where the applicant wishes RecACCESS grant benefits to be applicable to immediate family members or other dependents living in the same household for which the applicant is the primary caregiver.
Applicants who are under the age of 18 and are supported by a caregiver will only be considered as part of a family application. Applicants who are over the age of 18 but under the age of 25, and who are enrolled in a full-time post secondary education program will only be considered as part of a family application (proof of enrollment within a qualifying full-time post-secondary education program must be provided at the time of registration).
- All applicants must complete the the full application package, which includes:
1. RecACCESS application form (also available at all community centres, and eighth floor of City Hall).
2. Copies of supporting documents (as listed on the application form)
- Drop off completed application package to Allandale, East Bayfield, or Holly Community Centre during regular operating hours.
- Confirmation of status will be received within 10–14 business days
- Upon approval, youth can be registered for programs using RecACCESS credits issued
RecACCESS credits may be applied against registered recreation programs provided directly by the City of Barrie. Please note that INELIGIBLE recreation programs and services include the following:
- Additional program equipment charges (uniform, art supplies, etc.);
- Private or semi-private swimming and skating lessons, personal fitness training;
- 1:1 Inclusion Support Services;
- City of Barrie Marina slip lease or reservatons;
- Room and/or facility rentals;
- Drop-in for gym, swim, skate, fitness and 55+ Centres programs.
Personal information collected for the RecACCESS program is collected pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, M.56, R.S.O. 1990, as amended, and will be used for the purpose of administering the RecACCESS fee assistance program, administration of the City of Barrie’s recreation programs including registration in these programs, and for periodic mailings pertaining to RecACCESS, and the City of Barrie’s recreation programs.